Phil's New Waste Board

CAMPBELL TOOL & METAL SUPPLY
569 CHARCOT AVE
SAN JOSE, CA. 95131
(408)432-4890 PHONE
(408)432-4891 FAX

I didnt end up buying a sheet from them so good luck with new pricing. It looks like my price quote I received from them was from 9/17/17. It was the best price i could find in the area though, and I called a lot of places. I would of bought it, but I got sick with cancer and I couldnt justify doing this mod with the bills that I have now.

-Eliott

1 Like

Thank you, Phil!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing the design @PhilJohnson !

Hereā€™s a picture of my version of it:

You should make the donation links more visible on your website, I was really happy to ā€œpay you a beerā€ !

3 Likes

Thanks! I just realized that itā€™s not fully finished in the picture I posted, all the mdf parts should be like the one on the left (with the larger holes to secure it to the aluminium plate). Iā€™m now looking at replacing my dust boot with one inspired by your design.

1 Like

Your gonna love this upgrade. It make the whole machine far more rigid. And clamping a breeze.

3 Likes

Wow! It appears aluminum plate has gone up! Local price is $208 for 38x39x.25. Speedy Metals quoted ~$150 plus $50 shipping. Anybody priced anything cheaper lately?

1 Like

I paid 130 + 25 shipping from Midwest Steel Supply a month ago, but I hesitate to recommend them. My cut was not as square as i would have liked, and was 1/8" short in both directions. If you account for it, then itā€™s perfectly fine aluminum and will do the job. Iā€™m making it work for my build. But I know Speedy Metals has a good reputation, and that price isnā€™t unreasonable these days, sadlyā€¦

Iā€™ve got the Triquetra extended (2") Y Axis End Plates. Iā€™m assuming I need 2"x5"x0.25" angle to make the brackets for the edges, correct? Anybody else thatā€™s done this that might have a suggestion or a source for angle like this?

FYI - I scored a 40" x 40" x 0.25 piece of new 6061 aluminum plating from a local scrap yard. $1.25/lb (36 lbs). $45 out the door. Got a local tooling place to use their sheer and cut it to size for free! Everything else is on the way now except the angle brackets.

Ready for some upgrades!
"

1 Like

Menards is the best chain hardware store I have ever been to. They build one 3 mins from my house a few years back. I had never heard of them before. They were the only place around I could find MDO (no not MFD lol).

1 Like

Is there anyone around that could answer some questions I have about this wasteboard upgrade?

Some things donā€™t make sense to me and Iā€™m interested in talking to someone who followed Philā€™s build plans pretty meticulously.

Thankyou in advance

Eliott

Try Philā€™s website, he may have it posted there.

I spent 30 bucks to get the pdf printed large so I could take it to my local machine shop to have them drill and tap the materials. Iā€™m too weak from fighting a rare lymphoma cancer this whole year for me to take on the job. I want to finish the project and it just sop happens I got sick right when I had everything lined up. Itā€™s been about a year and the docs said I might not have much more time. Call it a bucket list item now.

Eliott

Can someone answer these questions? :

In reference to Philā€™s pdf he put togetherā€¦

1. the eight (4 in front and 4 in back) total screws that bolt the front and back of the aluminum plate to the base extrusion go through the aluminum plate into M5 t nuts correct? M5x12mm. are these called ā€œButton Headā€ screws/bolts?

2. the side support ā€œLā€ brackets (4 on left and 4 on right of machine) not only support the Y axis extrusions but also bolt the L brackets through the aluminum plate to the base extrusions correct? What type of screws or bolts are these called? ā€œButton headā€ ?

3. What hardware did you use for the ā€œ4 center holesā€ described on sheet 2 under plate to extrusion base holes M5x8mm button head?

4. in reference to the above mentioned 4 center holes, wouldnā€™t the head of the screw/bolt stick up proud of the aluminum plate, not allowing an mdf board to sit flat/flush on top of it? Do you have to make a clearance hole on the underside of these pieces in order for them to sit flush on the plate??

5. on the t-rail mounting holes, I noticed dimensions are called out with spacing from left to right but not the spacing up and down. There are 8 holes per t track in the drawing. Do you just equally space them because itā€™s not a crucial dimension as long as the track gets mounted securely?

-Also what size holes are these and what hardware do you use? Do you drill and countersink these holes in order to accommodate the t track? I noticed the shop fox track has no holes in it for mounting. In fact I might get the t track from orange alumn because itā€™s much cheaper.

1. can someone please elaborate on how you cut the small pieces of 20x20 extrusion for the base extrusion? Did you just use a miter saw and file down the burrs after they were cut?

Thankyou so much if you have made it this far.

Eliott B

Eliott B. - Phil is requesting you email him ( Pjohnson1980@yahoo.com ) or contact him on Facebook (Xcarve CNC owners group).

I sent an email to him. I also reached out and sent a submission to join the Facebook group. No response yet.

Iā€™m not sure if you can relay that info or not.

Thankyou for your time.

Eliott

1 Like

I got in contact with him. Thankyou everyone.

3 Likes