Phil's New Waste Board

ahhh… Ok… THANK YOU!!! :smiley:

1 Like

I used Phil’s name when I called Speedy Metals. I told them that I’ll have what he has. They looked him up and gave me exactly the same size plate.

1 Like

IIIIIiiii’ve got ya’… I was thinking that they were to be used as adapters for attaching something like this style of clamp.

https://www.kurtworkholding.com/images/DX6/KURT-DX6-CrossOver-angled-web.jpg

They said something about “that jerk”, but I ignored them. I told them the Phil is okay, because he uses BLUE LOCTITE!

2 Likes

Ahhh… one last question, mostly for curiosity sake…

Your plating is 39.38" x 37" x .25"… So, I am wondering why you selected the 37" measurement, instead of a square 39.38" x 39.38".

I am likely overlooking something which would obstruct the build at “square” dimensions. but, I would like to know prior to placing my order.

Thank You, Phil

That is more than fair… And, I certainly have no interest in contesting it. LOL

Am I to assume that you used some manner of drill press to make your holes plumb?

1 Like

Marking with calipers? I have only measured with them. And, the largest I have is like 6" from Harbor Freight.

Are there calipers designed for marking large sheets/plates of metal? If so, please tell me. :smile:

You’d use a clamp like this in a Tormach or a Haas. If you put this on the X-Carve (assuming you have a stable way to mount it) you’d be eating up most of your Z travel.

@PhilJohnson
Do you use a square as a guide to mark off the drill lines?

I have been looking “on and off” all day, and cannot seem to find a 1 meter square.

I’m guessing that I’ve been seeking the wrong tools.

Please advise.

I’m getting rather annoyed with Speedy Metals. When I ordered my plate, they said it would ship out the next day. I waited a couple of days because they hadn’t sent me any shipping info. They told me it was going to ship the following day. That was last Friday. I sent them an email yesterday asking for an updated shipping date. I finally got a response today saying it would ship tomorrow. That’s 3 times they have said it would ship tomorrow.

Also my Orange Aluminum T Track arrived today. I noticed that the holes to mount the T-Track are not counter sunk. Phil, did you countersink your Ttrack holes?

On the bright side, Inventables sent me a notification that my X Carve is being shipped.

1 Like

I did not counter sink mine, I used a m4 tapered head machine screw to install them.

The bolt head doesn’t come in contact with them.

Thanks.

I already printed that out. I would have liked to have a full size plan printed on sticky back paper, so I can just lay it on the plate as a template.

1 Like

Nicely done

1 Like

Ok, now that i’m home, I can place a link of the calipers which I have. However, I am unclear as to how I would measure such extensive lengths accurately.

Please tell me that I am missing something. :

@PhilJohnson I’m totally embarrassed now by my “Caliper marking questions.”

I had never seen Caliper veneers used for anything other than flat placement against surfaces for measure.

I had never had a frame of context for caliper marking (even with searching Google), until I happened to witness this today. LMFAO

video removed for inappropriate language- JDM

2 Likes

HA HA HA!!!

Apparently my post was flagged due to an “F” and an “A” within my “LM_ _O” statement.

I did not realize how sanitary this “clean room” was required to be.

(Donning my anti-static Hazmat suit now) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I feel honored to be in such esteemed company, sir. :smiley:

1 Like

You two should team up.

7 Likes

Nothing can help Phil, his shop have Radiation, high electrostatic, Plenty enough dust cloud and tons of wasted scrap woods. :grin:

1 Like