Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

Show me the model settings for the text layer, looks to me like you’ve either got too much of a subtraction height or used an absolute height instead of a relative one.

One possibility - Open the the “v-carve 3 toolpath”, at the top should be a setting named “Gap Above” - for what you are attempting this value should be set to 0.

1 Like

On the vcarve toolpath settings have you checked the ‘Project toolpath onto 3D model’ checkbox?

1 Like

Phil, I seem to remember watching a video on youtube from Vectrics that shows how to do that.

I think this is the one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txbgWS_JaY4

1 Like

While Stuart is correct using Aspire. I’m not sure if VCarve desktop has this feature. But if it does then that’s your huckleberry @PhilJohnson.

It looks like it is cutting the text on the surface of the background disk and not on the surface of the ribbon.

Check your “start depth” and “Flat Depth” on the V-Carve operation. But I am thinking Carve is confused about which 3D object it tis supposed to map the text onto.
I am going to play with it a bit and see what happens. Maybe grouping the 3d elements together? Or having them on different layers? Having the text on a different layer?

From Vectric FAQ:

What is the Zero Plane?
The Zero Plane is required if you are creating a dish like model, that is primaraly a concave design to be carved into your material.

Once you have created your design you need to add the zero plane model to make it easier to visualise your design.

To access the Zero Plane tool, go to the Model menu -> Add Zero Plane.

Hmm I was not able to duplicate the effect as a tool path mapping issue. When projecting the toolpath onto a 3d model it always projected to the highest 3D element. Regardless of object order on the page, or model order on the modeling tab, or having them in different layers.

I was able to duplicate it by not projecting it and setting a aggressively deep Start depth (normally would be set to zero with project turned on).

It makes your changes permanent to that object. I am not entirely sure how it affects things. I don’t use it as I use undo a lot :wink:

1 Like

I was only messing around with vcare clipart, not with an imported stl file, so maybe that has something to do with it?

1 Like

When you are building the component tree be sure you are creating levels and each level will have a base height and shape height. This was a new feature in 8 and it is really helpful but if you are not using it correctly you may see have the type of errors you are seeing

3 Likes

The height reading on the bottom is supposed to be negative.
It shows you the depth where ever you place your cursor.
If you place the cursor over an area where there is not cuts it should read 0

how deep is your dish? my numbers are always positive. 0 is the backplane. you can adjust the depth (scale model Z height)

Yes

What was it? Clear rest preview?

And you thought Fusion 360 was fun.

2 Likes

I’m just glad the most helpful guy on the forum is finally using what I have. Now if we can just get him an X-Controller he can help with just about anything. Hint hint @Zach_Kaplan. Lol

3 Likes

I’m sure I tried telling you that at some point in the past. …well maybe not lol.

1 Like

I have I told you how great Aspire is? Wow, it makes Vcarve look like F-Engrave.

3 Likes

The video tutorials they provide are top notch, but even without them using Vcarve is so intuitive you use 90% of it’s capabilities just by clicking on the icons in the interface.

The only real issue I have with it is that it remembers the settings from the last time you used it, So if you changed the zero point to the work center for a special project, then you start a new project and don’t think to reset the zero you will get a nasty surprise when you start the cut.

I have put a sticky note on the wall to remind me to check the zero location before I save the gcode.

2 Likes