Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

Really awesome!!!

1 Like

So jealous right now… our xcarve has been offline since November 5th for moving to a new home. We were supposed to be in by Thanksgiving and that didn’t happen.So we just got settled but it won’t be until end of Feb before we can get the new shop spray foamed and put together. Going from sharing a one stall garage to a 950 sq foot barn all to my self is gonna be nice though.

Awesome work Phil… I need to learn how to those multiple colors and coats of poly to make things pop and stay clean.

1 Like

good work there Mr. Phil

1 Like

I’ve done a few of this ribbon type vcarves, I always needed to " ‘Project toolpath onto 3D model’ checked…then recalculate… never had a fail on that.

wow… the detail on that laser work is great

1 Like

You’re doing some excellent work. Keep it up!

1 Like

Yes I did… buuut I don’t have a laser yet… so it means nothing to me at the moment ha ha ha

Phil,
Wow that night and day in contrast. PP is JTech no Z?

messed up your hand? dude that sucks.

Plaques look good.

… anyone else see “Timmy” and think South Park? it is like every time I here the name “Jake” I follow it up with “From State Farm”

2 Likes

ouch dude… get well soon… maybe 3d print some new fingertips

2 Likes

A “like” for Phil’s post does not speak to the personal accident Phil experienced. Just to his “humor” at describing such a horribly scary event with so few words. Praying he recovers with no lasting effects.

6 Likes

VERY glad that’s all you suffered… I’ve got a friend who lost 3 fingertips on his right hand, just the last knuckle (tip).

They were reattached but they’re all but useless to him and it took him years to get used to it.

My 2 sons are just now getting to the point where they want to be in the shop, so I bit the bullet and bought a SawStop cabinet saw just before Christmas. I breathe a little easier knowing at least that machine shouldn’t hurt them…

1 Like

it is just a flesh wound

5 Likes

I am sorry to hear that, though it sounds like you nearly joined my “nubby” club for those of us who were not fast enough and are now missing part of a finger. That is actually why I got the X-carve, but glade you it was not too serious.

1 Like

agree 1000% on the cost… I agonized over this for a few months. I was upgrading from a 15 year old contractor saw that I had built a table around and mocked up some dust collection, but when the motor started going out I knew it was time to do my research.

At the end of the day it came down to about $800 more to have the safety feature, and with 2 boys who really wanted to spend time in the shop, I felt it was a worthwhile investment.

The best part, in retrospect, is that the seller completely dropped the ball when shipping me the saw, and it took 3 weeks to get all the parts, not to mention 2 failed attempts because nobody seems to understand what a lift-gate it. In the end, they completely refunded me shipping, plus knocked $250 off the saw, so the difference was only $550 to get the SawStop safety feature over a Powermatic / Jet / Grizzly with comparable specs…

I can’t say enough good things about the SawStop, I love the fit, finish and quality of the saw, plus the dust collection is superb. The added safety feature is just a plus, and I hope to never have to test it out for real, but knowing it’s there sure helps, although there’s still a tremendous respect for the danger of that spinning wheel of death.

The bad part about adding the saw to my shop is it started a cascade of other upgrades to my Jet dust collector (added the super dust deputy and a fine filter) as well as 4" piping throughout the shop and the auto-start / stop relay on the saw so the DC kicks on automatically, as well as the cost of blast gates, hoses and other connectors for each of the tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a Rigid professional table saw and love it, but a SawStop is on my wish list. When put like a guy I know put it, saw stop just say $2500. If you finger sets off the safety device it’s $170 to replace it and the blade. Other table saw, any brand say $1500. Catch a few fingers…hospital bill could be several thousand. You’d be far better off with your fingers and the extra money after buying a sawstop.

2 Likes

I’d love a good excuse to replace my Delta contractors saw with a Sawstop, the problem is that since I got a Festool track saw and MFT table I use the table saw a lot less so it’s harder to justify replacing it, but a table saw is still the best tool for a few operations.

1 Like

Ahhhh, I’d love that track saw. I want a domino BAD.

1 Like

I have an old 70’s model powermatic that I was raised on. I have had the motor rebuilt once. Still runs great

1 Like

The reason is they got sued by sawstop and lost for patent infringement in USA. During a congressional hearing over the summer I believe the sawstop guy suggested someday there may be a $400 sawstop… he was lobbying the government mandate his technology in all saws. The guy def wants to cash in on this.

1 Like