Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

As I recall the patent is too broad… the reaxx uses a totally different ‘stop the blade’ mechanism but the patent was focused on ‘detect finger’ part which there’s only so many ways to do that / i.e., similar to how z touchplates work. It’s a shame.

1 Like

Yes, the same technology that brings us the incandescent light bulb.

I’m reminded of Telsa giving away / open sourcing its patents saying:

“…and we have a great design for a bucket, […] we should probably still share the bucket design.”

1 Like

Phil’s advise spot on.
Thanks

6 Likes

That looks awesome!

Did something similar 15 years ago. My thumb looked split like a snakes tongue. I refuse to admit I was doing anything unsafe so I say I was standing to close to my table saw. I found it’s hard to hitchhike with a messed up thumb.

1 Like

I’m shooting from the hip here, and I may not be entirely accurate and I’m also echoing the statements of other repondants here but…

The inventor of sawstop created a wonderful safety device that could potentially save millions of digits.
Problem is, after realizing just how great his creation is, he chose to follow the profit rather than his morals and got greedy. instead of licensing his patent, he tried to get the gooberment to mandate HIS tech on all new saws, which would have driven the cost of all new tablesaws to new heights. If I recall correctly he was also pushing for requirements to have all older saws retrofitted as well. (I’m not sure how this part could even be enforced).
Fortunately, depending on one’s point of view, his aspirations were cut short. (sorry Phil)
WHen Bosch came out with it’s Reaxx saws, which are still on the market, just not in the U.S.Sawstops attorneys swung into action again to protect the profits of its creator and basically shut down the competition. The sawstop is and amazing saw that I would really like to have in my shop, with apparently great quality,fit and finish, but I probably wont be acquiring one anytime soon because of the cost, albeit which is far cheaper than what Phils finger repair is likely to be, but more so because I am repulsed by the actions of the Sawstop creator and his legal counsel.

True but human nature comes into play and that is to just reach out and…
It takes conscious thought many, many times to remember to use the push stick before it becomes almost muscle memory. I’ve been nipped a few times by a table saw and lucky so far. My push block is almost always within reach while using the saw yet, far too often, my fingers are potentially in harms way. Human nature.
The saw stop dude saw a need and an opportunity to personally benefit from his inspiration and I say good for him. But his actions later in the story is what bother me.

2 Likes

Hey Phil,
Great work! Was wondering what laser you use and do you mount it directly to your X-carve or is it a separate unit?
Thanks

I have a picture of what was cut off next to my power button on my table saw; as a reminder. And of course right after my accident i get a message from Rockler saying “before something happens you should get one of these…” All i could do is just laugh…

https://amzn.to/3p36GPU

1 Like

I’ve had thoughts of masking off and painting a red or yellow box area around the blade on my table saw - a “fingers don’t go inside this area” visual warning right there in front of me. It would be about 1.5 to 2" from anywhere on the blade. …which wouldn’t be much different than just painting the clearance plate.

1 Like

Even Optomus?

2 Likes

That’s prime for you. It’s awesome when you live just a few miles from one of their main distribution warehouses because I can same day most items.

1 Like

PHil, where are the STL files for download located? These are great!

where did you buy these gun STL files?

That gripper is the next tool on my list. I’m buying the 2 pack.

1 Like

I lost the tip of my index finger to the shop table saw in junior high. It’s definitely a learn from your mistakes. Glad your alright Phil.

1 Like

WTF PHIL! metal premade box and not a 3d printed one… lazy

1 Like

metal one was cheaper?

Just giving you a hard time

1 Like

I will assume your using your spray shellac, that’s in the picture, so you can do your wipe off method. are you spraying a coat after each color is done so you cont have to worry about mess ups?

1 Like