Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

Wowza!

Iā€™ve been looking for those birdhouse file! So jealous

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Coming soon, itā€™s on the machine about half way. (3 Hrs.)

5 Likes

Here, let me know if you interest STL.

6 Likes

Yes it is MDF. My world here all MDF. So hard to find good wood, I miss home.

1 Like

Yes you can, but you need to do twice and SOS aluminum dish scrubber helping between two.
Mostly Iā€™m using seal varnish first, then adding concentrated water base color to either gloss or matte varnish for making it look real wooden piece.

Yes, you can stain MDF. It is a very thirsty material. However, you need to use a stain with an oil or alcohol base that wonā€™t cause the MDF to swell. Any water in the stain will ruin the piece. Iā€™ve use denatured alcohol with Transtint multiple times, and once used Tung oil to seal the top of a set of MDF topped workbenches.

If you are unsure of how a stain will do, test it on the cut edge of a piece of MDF scrap. Cuts/sanded/milled surfaces are far more absorbent than the factory face of the MDF board.

Will share tomorrow. Sorry Phil, I didnā€™t mean diving into your post.

1 Like

Hand carved by his fingers on the keyboard and mouse perhaps?

It is possible that a craftsman, having done an operation many, many times could create a near duplicate of an item, but there would most likely be some variation now and then.
Then again he IS an Aspire customerā€¦

1 Like

He may have used a basic profile cutout then hand carved in the details and considers that ā€œall hand carvedā€ that might have them all looking very close to the same if he started with the same base piece every time.

1 Like

ok @PhilJohnson, Iā€™m impressed. This modeling you speak of is something I need to learn :slight_smile:

Can you point me at some good (based on your experience) videos on YouTube that would teach someone with 0 modeling experience to make something like this.

Iā€™m not kidding, really, I can write C#, Powershell, Java, Python and VB all day long, but I have no idea what Iā€™m doing when it comes to things like Blender (if thatā€™s even the right thing)ā€¦

1 Like

I agree with Darryl. Itā€™s looking good. Youā€™re making progress.I also try to find the right 3D Modeling Software. Over the past few years I installed blender probably 10 times and deinstalled it after a few days, because the interface is not intuitive at all and unfortunately I donā€™t have the time to watch hundreds of tutorials. I tried Sculptris, but Iā€™m not artistic enough to sculpt. All I want to do for right now is to cut a 3D model in half so I can carve it. A google search for 3d modeling software brings up a lot of results and some of them are even free. Today I installed Wings 3D and at least the interface doesā€™nt look too intimidating. In a few days I will have a bit more time and will check out tinkercad and meshmixer. Maybe even a google search for how to cut a 3d model in half will guide me in the right direction. time will tell.

1 Like

Do you have vcarve? I use Pro to pull stl files (eg. Thingiverse) and cut it in half to 3d carve.

1 Like

Dude! you are a 3d modeling maniac!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think heā€™s sleeping ever, he is living between carving and forum. Iā€™m here for a while and there is 7 hours difference between US. Sometimes Iā€™m checking forum, he is posting at about 2 am. :grin:
Did you see a zombie around.

2 Likes

Actually, If it wasnt for the fact that we have actually conversed I would think that he is not in fact human but just a computer program.

2 Likes

Although the connection was a a bit sketchyā€¦ Hmmm.

2 Likes

That is it. He is the looping software, there is no ā€œ:endā€ line on it. :astonished:

2 Likes

:joy: