Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

NO!!! We can’t let that happen!!

1 Like

Did anybody notice that Phil spelled Inventables wrong in his photo?

Sounds like a plan to me!

@PhilJohnson - what font did you use for the big letter? I’m liking it. Thanks.

-Tom

Did you ever figure out why the face of the sun is getting milled off?

Ah, roger all. Thanks!

1 Like

That is just Awesome.

1 Like

Different species of birds have preferences regarding the diameter of the entrance holes and dimensions of the nesting area. You can adjust both to improve your chances of nesting certain types of birds.

Here are a few guidelines:

http://www.birdsforever.com/boxdim.html

1 Like

the yelling one looks like Santa saying “YOU ARE ON THE NAUGHTY LIST!!!”

1 Like

Would be a cool light switch cover !

1 Like

Can u set it in a dish maybe adjust the model height I know u can in aspire.

Can u share the file ?

What did u search on stl finder ?

Very very nice!

1 Like

What type of paint are you using?

how are you sealing your surface. Acrylic is nice, but not very forgiving.

With acrylics, you have 4 basic things: pigment, binder, solvent and any additives;

When painting on raw wood, the carrier or solvent gets wicked out of the paint and you end up with sludge that doesn’t flow or blend.

Pigments are the expensive ingredient. Dark colors can get away with less pigment for coverage whereas light colors need more. To cut cost, companies will add junk fillers to the paint to avoid more pigment. Paint is one of those items where you really do get what you pay for. Cheap paint=cheap results. Even the grind of the pigments is different. I can airbrush a nice paint while the $1.50 bottle of craft paint won’t no matter how much you thin it.

If you have painted with white and black, you’ll notice it is easier to lay down black and then the white seems chunky. Yellows and reds are also difficult colors. The base pigments are very expensive so companies skimp on them.

Whenever I paint wood, I do two things:

1. Dampen the surface with a sponge and let it sit to raise the grain. You can come back later with fine paper or steel wool and knock the fuzzies off after it is dry.

2. Seal the wood before painting. For acrylics, I wipe on or spray Future floor polish. It is liquid acrylic sold for another purpose but perfect for painting.

*also, if you thin your paint use distilled water. Tap water can do nasty things to paint.

3 Likes

lol, at the point you are basically painting with colored flour and water :smiley:

I pay $3-4 per half ounce for my paint.

1 Like

For the type of work you are doing, I’d would be using 1 Shot or Chromatic.

No, the paint line. It’s solvent based but primo.

http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/colors/Bulletin-Colors.aspx

1 Like