Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

All the things I did not know I needed to know about paint, tank you !

I like Createx airbrush paint over 1 Shot for painting wood. Very dense pigment, true colors, and no solvent. http://www.createxcolors.com/

1 Shot is great stuff too; I have used it to tint epoxy resin with good results.

1 Shot is typically what Pinstripers use (just for reference)

This one looks more like ā€œGet in my belly!ā€

2 Likes

The new Createx Wicked line is phenomenal. I just used it extensively for a project. Brushes and sprays straight out of the bottle.

1 Like

Find a hobby lobby and use the 40% off on a decent one. Iā€™ve never met a person who bought a cheap airbrush that didnā€™t go out and buy a better one later. Even the Iwata Neos would be better.

2 Likes

A hose and adapter should be all you need. Other things are nice, like a moisture filter and regulator.

1 Like

the cheap acrylic paints donā€™t thin well.

1 Like

Hey Phil, how long did it take to carve the beard guy? Looks awesome!!

The regulator is a definite need w\ any compressor not designed for airbrushing. I bought an Iwata gravity-fed style airbrush from Hobby Lobby w\ a coupon, I love the thing.

Best to use the airbrush paints, thereā€™s a ton on Amazon Iā€™ve bought in all the primary camo colors for painting my sonā€™s models.

Iā€™d invest in a good hose, regulator and filter as @JDM recommended, and definitely spend some time watching YouTube, thereā€™s a ton of good videos.

1 Like

This looks better and better.
Iā€™m just personally worried about a birds moving into this birdhouse ! Imagine some poor bird confusing some hipster mouth with his front door !

2 Likes

As usual @PhilJohnson, your work is amazing. Iā€™m not into bird houses, because Iā€™m not into birds. They poop all over everything.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly how, I look when I step outside.

2 Likes

was this supposed to be aimed at meā€¦ lol

Showing up late in his own thread.

2 Likes

The indoor light picture it looks a lot like aged bronze

1 Like

Lmaoā€¦ next challenge after fidget spinners is to carve theseā€¦ whatever they areā€¦

2 Likes

That looks great, canā€™t wait to get my x-carve working again.

1 Like

Can you add a motion activated switch that triggers a small speaker to scream ā€œYOU SHALLā€™LL NOT PASS!ā€ Every time a bird arrives.

4 Likes

Sparrows? I HATE SPARROWS!!! They have almost destroyed the bluebird population in my area. But if you need some cool traps to put inside those to catch the sparrows let me know. I have none around my house this year and actually have 5 bluebird eggs in my box.