Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

:cry:

Anybody have a nice basic full birdhouse file they would be willing to share? Told my daughter we would make one since she loves watching the birds at our bird feeder and figure modifying a design would be much easier than starting from scratch. I know probably not the right place for this but seems you guys are on a birdhouse kick here lol

Yeah I guess that makes more sense I was trying to be lazy lol. Last time I built a birdhouse I got a bit carried away and by the time it was done it was so big and heavy I had to sell it to my neighbor at cost of materials to get it out of my garage since it required a huge tree stump for a base and I didnt have any trees big enough. It was 4 stories front and back total of about 22 rooms. Was more of a bird hotel. I have not tried 3D carving yet and Wife wants a “pretty” one so I figured I could make something much more fancy with the machine.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I’d hate to see the lease agreement.

Ryan,

If you want a simple design for a birdhouse, check out the latest Inventables video with the new box making application. Mo shows a birdhouse that she made with the app.

Where do you find the STL files for these or where can the be purchased? I love the bird house idea.

I hear ya man. No worries. I will see what I can come up with. Just wasn’t sure if they came in a pack that you purchased or not. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

hey Phil, Try this. You’ll love it.

Take a small piece of the t-shirt and ball it up. Put the ball in a square of tshirt and wrap it up tight like a hobo pack. I don’t know what it is called, but it is like a pom. Secure with a wire tie or string.

When you are done, you can put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer to use again.

1 Like

There instructions are having you apply a wash. The order is correct, though. You want to clear first and then paint on transparent layers to build up different values. I think I have a sculpture that I used glazing on on another computer.

This was all done with glazing. Very thin layers of transparent color that eventually build up.

It takes a long time but creates a nice gradient effect.

2 Likes

@PhilJohnson, I’m being a little lazy this morning. Rather than doing a search, I would like to know if you have a link, photo, etc., of the glaze that you are using? Thanks.

1 Like

yeah, once you start glazing, you don’t want to switch to any other type of finish than the one you are using to glaze.

The first few layers don’t look good.

1 Like

Work up a couple of show pieces for your portfolio. The projects with that kind of budget are out there.

That dragon was a commission.

1 Like

I think it all has to do with your geography as Well. For example I live in a small town mostly deemed to be a retirement town so I adjust my prices to be a bit more affordable. I don’t make as much per item but I sell higher quantities. Now if I head 4 hours south I can sell my signs for almost double the price because allot of “big wigs” own cottages on the lake and there are tons of big business branches etc… luckily I have a relative that lives down there and has been able to get me some great customers where most are willing to pay just about anything.

1 Like

Every time I open this thread I keep thinking dog is showing middle finger …

1 Like

Sounds like what is used when doing a french laquer polish…

Save yourself a ton of moolah on cleaner for water based paints:

50% windshield wiper fluid
25% Isopropyl alcohol 91%
25% glass cleaner (no ammonia, Glass Plus) or Simple Green
about 5 drops of glycerine from the pharmacy per cup of mix.

Avoid ammonia.

I have Iwatas that are almost 20 years old and clean as a whistle.

1 Like

I’m guessing he said ammonia, and not alcohol.

Alcohol is fine. Ammonia will attack the chrome plating on the airbrush.

ok

I bought an Iwata just after Christmas, I LOVE airbrushing, the control over fine detail is amazing!