Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

A interesting video would be a time-lapse of you doing it start to finish on easel. Put a clock next to the screen for reference and maybe speed the video by like x4 or something.

1 Like

John Saunders at NYCCNC (you tube) has a lot of Fusion stuff in his vids.

Iā€™d like to do a 3d modeling challenge at some point. Iā€™m sure I can come up with a good prize.

1 Like

I would take the challenge and Iā€™m sure i could do it in 2 hours of design work but that would spread out over 6 hours if you factor in all the time ill lose to adhd.

2 Likes

how do I get detailed carvings, I am new to the xcarve and cannot figure out how to set up images using easel

Hey Phil, If you donā€™t mind me asking, what is your workflow for these STLs?( The yelling man) I know you are using V-Carve, but are you manipulating the STL only within V-Carve? Iā€™ve been trying meshlab but not had good success. Iā€™ve gotten close so far with Fusion 360 but not there yet. Fusion does have the capability to work with/modify meshes but i havenā€™t got it all worked out. Having trouble getting it to toolpath the area outside of the face. (The border around the STL.) Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks Robert and Phil, Iā€™ve been considering Vcarve for a while now but just havenā€™t been able to pull the trigger. I just might have to. Iā€™m going to start going thru their tutorials.

1 Like

Itā€™s well worth it I have had mine for several months now and I love it.

1 Like

That would be great. Iā€™ve actually made a little progress with Meshmixer though i still have a hard time just getting the model positioned the way i want it, which should be a simple task for a normal person :grinning:. I was actually mixed up and was using Meshlab instead of Meshmixer which is a little more user friendly.

Thanks! This is still top of my list to learn, just have to deal with my vacation being pushed back till next Mondayā€¦ This is a great start, thanks again Phil!

1 Like

Excellent work as always!

1 Like

You can add a little juice on it.

6 Likes

Phil could you please share the stl or svg files for the chair. thanks in advance.

Thanks @PhilJohnson it never hurts to ask.

1 Like

holy, whatā€™s the carve time on that?

What material did you make it from? I have made a few from birch plywood with birch veneer on the edges.

I would suggest you make the first one out of cheap plywood or MDF. My first one showed me that the design needed a bit of adjustment to fit together properly.

I did not use solid modeling, I did all the design in Vcarve (which is not very helpful for designing true 3D objects)

My first attempt was with very tight connections and that did not work well at all. I found that about a .06" allowance was needed.

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Iā€™m always amazed at the detail you get from what I perceive as a relatively large bit.