Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

Hey Neighbor:wave:

Howdy

Sweet score!
I used to work for a crating company and one of the customer of thierā€™s made the machines used for making pallets. We would prep them and pack them up for shipping.
One of the perks was all the off cuts were free for the taking. Mostly pine but often oak and occasionally maple or even walnut would show up.
I heated my little 1 car stall sized woodshop for 3 winters on that pine and if I dig through my wood stash, I can probably still find some of the hardwood.

1 Like

True, thereā€™s some decent pieces here. Even saw a baby grand piano on the curb yesterday. Problem is timing. People need those piles for a while for insurance reasons. And you donā€™t really want to mess with that, especially after what this town went though.

Did you need my adress?

3 Likes

finished up very nice

what would your suggested retail price be for a piece like this?

I see table top name plates, door signs, clocks, phone charging stations, jewelry boxes, wedding ring boxes, light switch covers and other zillon craft ideas.

1 Like

Feel your painā€¦Pearland! We had almost 22" of water in the houseā€¦

1 Like

Man, I want a truckload like that! That beats out my $75 for these maple strips.

4 Likes

I wish my pine came out that clean. Whats the trick is it in the feeds and speeds or stepover or just a matter of running the file again for cleanup? Sick of the fuzzy cleanup afterwards, so much wasted time.

I got a load of plywood boards from old shelving at my wifes work but V carving leaves some nasty chipout it only seems to cut good with downcut spiral. But hey free wood is free wood probably a good 4 sheets of 4x8 in total in various size cuts.

I was running 60ipm been pushing it at 80ipm lately also using .08 depth at both speeds and a final of .008. Always have to sand and brush out bits and pieces.

I didnā€™t want to be left outā€¦ Reclaimed pallet lumber.

Remember, itā€™s not the size of the truck, itā€™s what you put in it!
(oh, my poor little truck!)

4 Likes

Are the front tires even touching the ground?! lol

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait to see this @PhilJohnson, Iā€™m hand carving a full (Hobbit) sized one of these from teak for my daughterā€™s clubhouse. Iā€™ll have to post some picsā€¦ Too big for the cnc or I would have.

1 Like

Saw that post and immediately thought you would be diving into it at any moment.

1 Like

Man, if thatā€™s reclaimed pallet lumber, those were some big-ā– ā– ā–  pallets!

1 Like

I have Pro, but have never tried tiling. I will cut the designs on the XC, but the body of the door is mostly done so it will no longer fit on the bed. Iā€™ll have to use the old school method of plunge router and bearing bit to cut the pocket for the inlayā€¦ but the XC will be making the inlay

1 Like

Off I go to www.designsbyphil.com ā€¦ funny, I type the letters D and E in my browser and it auto fills the rest. Almost like Iā€™ve been there before.

2 Likes

Phil,
Have you ever thought about doing a Kickstarter for making video tutorials on how you make stuff? That way you can get any equipment you would need and make some extra cash while showing us how you make your stuff.

Jeff

2 Likes