Photo v carve testing

Testing out photo v carve to do some Christmas presents…

Uploading…

6 Likes

2 Likes

Yes this is using the vectric PhotoVCarve… the staining I used briwax, if you have never used the stuff it is freaking amazing… it isn’t intended for outdoor use so I wouldn’t use it on a sign or anything that is being used by outside, but for indoor items that will hang on the wall, no problem… when I apply briwax on signs I normally spread it on with a cloth and then use a stiff brush to get it on the crevices and cracks… then I either take another rag and buff off the excess… one that is done I use an air compressor to get the rest out of the corners and crevices… I will say though… the top carving (the reddish looking one) of the three matching ones, was done a few months ago when I started testing the software. I used a stain gel, if I remember right and then sanded the top down to reveal the high spots… I did the same aging method on the briwax ones as well…

1 Like

Also, the other two in the collection of three I used rustic pine and dark brown briwax… the wood I am using is basswood… I ran out of maple doing signs or I would have used that instead… but at any rate you want to use a wood with as little grain as possible… a user but on Facebook Melinda Davies and was on the CNC with Dave show on YouTube and she has some pretty good tips on doing photo v carve and lithophanes…

1 Like

I keep thinking of things of the process…

So briwax is intended as the finish and it is recommended not to apply a finish over it,. but since I wanted the “frame” to not have stain on it I sanded the frame area down and tapped over the middle section. Then used a razor blade to trim on the edge of the carved area. Removed the excess tape so I could spray a finish on, in this case lacquer… I will post a picture of the finish piece tomorrow night, hopefully…

1 Like

Also, here is another sign I did using briwax… dark brown for the fluer-de-lis and rustic pine for the rest…

4 Likes

Very nice work. Can you share some of your Photo Vcarve settings on these projects and what bit you used?. I have the program and have yet to mess around with it, but after seeing these it makes me want to head to the garage.

Wow amazing work! Can’t wait to see what else you post!

Thanks!

I actually used this site as a tutorial when I first started… I used his measurements and converted them to inches. I am currently using a 1/16 ball nose, but I am hoping to get a 1/32 soon to get a little more detail…

Thanks, great stuff.

Not to bad if you ask me… Next up, 1 1/32 bit to get a little more detail

1 Like

I just had an odd behavior… on one of the sides it looks like it skipped on the y axis, but none of the other sides appear to have the skip… Also I tested a new camera during this run and I’m uploading the video now… Ill post the link in the morning…

EDIT: video isn’t up yet, but it will be here when it is done uploading…

Im going to check this and see if that is the issue… Thanks for the help!

I hate pulleys…

When I went to check them out the y axis was good, but the x had one set screw missing and one of the vwheels was completely fallen off… I tightened everything back down and going to try it again tomorrow

1 Like

Looks like this did nothing… I am going to do a few more test today and see if I am getting binding in certain areas of the machine…

I moved the carving to the very front of the machine and everything carved fine, I even completed one going 150ipm… I think the rails aren’t parallel, I’ll fix this and try again… just need to get these projects done before i go on vacation for Christmas

1 Like

I completed a few more projects and then the same problem started again… I think i might have my motors power up to high, or i am trying to carve to fast… Doing the tests now for the motor power and if they don’t mess up ill slow down the carve and see what happens…

Did someone say Blue Loctite?

1 Like

I haven’t ordered my X Carve yet, but I did get a lot of BLUE LOCTITE.

1 Like

You’ll have to ask Phil!

1 Like