Picsender gcode

This is the message I receive when I send the code to the machine.

This is the message after I home the machine and press send.

John can you tell whats going on?

It appears that you are starting the gcode run with either a shorted probe connection, or you may have a limit switch noise problem. The “ALARM: Probe fail” message is straight from Grbl, so my guess is you do have a probe grounded issue.

If you are holding the probe plate in position with your hand, your body may be acting as a ground and closing the probe connection. This might happen if your AC power source is not grounded properly. Please try to make sure your AC power source is grounded. You can also try to run the code without touching the plate with your bare hands. Does it then work?

If you do have hard limits enabled ($21=1), and you are not using some form of signal conditioning, then noise may be tripping your hard limits. At a minimum, a 0.01uf ceramic capacitor should be installed between each limit switch input and ground, when the wires connect to your controller. I also recommend a capacitor on the probe wiring as well.

To test for limit switch noise, set the Grbl settings $20=0 and $21=0 and retest. If it then runs to completion, you do have a noise issue.

EDIT: Correction - 0.1UF ceramic capacitors, NOT 0.01uf.

1 Like

Please copy and paste your Grbl setting.

1 Like

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)

$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)

$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)

$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)

$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)

$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)

$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)

$10=115 (status report mask:01110011)

$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)

$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)

$13=1 (report inches, bool)

$20=0 (soft limits, bool)

$21=0 (hard limits, bool)

$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)

$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)

$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)

$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)

$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)

$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)

$30=1. (rpm max)

$31=0. (rpm min)

$100=40.000 (x, step/mm)

$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)

$102=188.976 (z, step/mm)

$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)

$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)

$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)

$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)

$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)

$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)

$130=790.000 (x max travel, mm)

$131=790.000 (y max travel, mm)

$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

John, when I jog to the positive the machine goes to the negative.If I jog negative it goes negative.

Sounds like you are jogging in G90 mode (absolute) . For jogging PS should be usually in G91 mode (incremental).

Click the yellow mode button to toggle modes.

1 Like

No I am in G91. I keep tripping the alarm lock.Where can I get the ceramic capacitor you are talking about? Looks like my Grbl settings are already set to $20=0 and $21=0.

Would reloading Picsender do anything?

Thanks, your settings show that limits are not activated, pointing more to your probe wiring/connection as an issue.

I will do some more testing tomorrow when I can get out to my SO2.

1 Like

Every time Grbl resets, it reverts to G90 mode.
Run this command from the Do Cmd box:

$N1=G20 G91

This will be automatically executed every time Grbl starts up or is reset, and will make sure Grbl is always preset to G20(inch mode) and G91(incremental).

1 Like

I corrected my post above about the capacitors. They are 0.1uf, not 0.01uf.
Any electronics supply distributor will have them. In the US at Radio Shack last I checked.

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

Yes John sorry, I was so excited to get it working that I forgot to update my post. Everything seems to be working properly now. What I did not realize is that I have to set up after each project. I was under the impression that all I need to do is load the code and go. This doesn’t seem to be the case. Unless I am missing something? If not then thank you for your support and time.

1 Like

John can I bypass Easel and use Picsender to communicate with X Carve? I keep losing connection com port to machine, any suggestions?

Also when I change from one bit to the other in the same project do I need to run the zeroing sequence again with the bit I am changing to?

PicSender should work well with an X Carve. I use it with my SO2 daily when spindle engraving. Be sure you have all power saving modes disabled, especially if you are using a laptop.

As to bit changes, you should always re-zero your Z axis on a part of the material that has not been carved whenever you change bits and plan to continue carving on the same work piece.

1 Like

Thanks John, Do you know how to enable Charlies spread sheet so I can complete my fine tune setup?