PLASMA CUTTING TEST (short vid)

if using the waste board with a plasma cutting table on top use a airgap and a heat barrier.

Nice job! You get a very customized hp computer cover!!

1 Like

@ShaneBell HI, I need some more help about plasma cutting you already did setup and test I read somewhere it is compulsory to use THC (touch height controller ) for cutting metal with plasma I dont know much about plasma cutting just am getting some knowledge and How about use CNC nozzle type (vertical torch) head instead of handheld torch.
I have ongoing 0.8mm letters cutting jobs so I am thinking to bought plasma. Thanks

@KennethConnell1 Hi, Did you solve disconnects issue maybe I want to know what cause disconnects what progress your upgrade any progress did using with success.

Until I put more effort into the process witch may be some time from now because of work. I had just been using easel with the plasma. I just set my cut height then put in the shallowest depth in to easel. With easel not really being made for plasma say i was cutting out letters i would cut one letter at a time. the next time i break out the plasma I am going to use inkscape with the jtec laser gcode then move on to try out fusion360. But I have not used any type of touch control as of yet.

1 Like

Thanks for details I definitely exciting to hear more test and results as you want try on other cam settings.

No I did not completely solve the disconnect issues. I know what the problem is, however I gave up on it before I finished it.

So found a x carve a while back again and tested with some rf clips to make sure it would not do all the crazy stuff with stalling and it works now so my question is with this relay and getting the post processing right for lead ins and out/turning on of the torch, this relay should be fine to control my torch? Also how would I wire it into the board. Using the pin for the jtech laser set up to turn it on and off the same principal?

If you have Hypertherm powermax 45 than no need wiring to relay. its have CPC port for torch on/off
just need signal from board.

@PhilJohnson I am waiting to see in action.

1 Like

I have a Eastwood plasma cutter so I doesn’t have a port for wiring it up to the board. I have to wire into the trigger from the relay and the board.

See this video might be helpful . read comments you will find what you want to do. I am also want to upgrade my machine for plasma used. Let me know any good news.

@PhilJohnson. Yes Hypertherm is best for CNC usage.
@JoshuaEnos. Video uploader had explain in comments. How to wiring from trigger and I read somewhere Plasma source should be Blow-back start technology, Pilot arc system will works.

1 Like

Yeah was just planing on using that since it will be the same for turning on and off for moving around the points. I just want to make sure I’m wiring it up correct with the pin to trigger the plasma and wiring now some people have shown but others the wiring I can’t make sense of it. More of the thc I’m still new to under standing that but that will be for my larger cnc. Right now I just want to be able to cut here and their and get the hang of cnc plasma.

So I would just need to wire the pwm wire to my relay then to the trigger on my Eastwood plasma torch, so everytime it tells it to fire it will and then when it won’t be it will shut off.

1 Like

Sweet hopefully I’ll be testing it out soon and is their any kind of post processing I have to use or can I use the no z for the jtech to trick it?

No it has the arc that has the auto start.

1 Like

Certain ones do and don’t but mine has a auto one that can be used on rusty to clean metals.

1 Like

Yeah and there is a company on eBay that makes like a cnc head version for the plasma cutter that’s more for cnc then the torch so going to see how that goes and will get it later on. My machine can cut around a 1/4 or a little higher or so with no problem so I’m hoping I can cut metal signs to thicker stuff if I need too. Going to make a water table to set on the x carve and have a small drain to let the water out if I’m going to use it for something else. Just so it protects any sparks going anywhere and separating the machine from anything.