Plastic Sign

It took me a couple reads to visualize what you were doing. Very clever. One could continue returning it for additional carving and new paint colors, as well. Each cycle of carve->paint adding another dimension… almost like doing silk screening.

2 Likes

@JeffParish
did you have to do a light sanding on the acrylic before the first coat of paint was applied?

what kind of paint did you use? I’ve had bad luck painting acrylic, but it looks like whatever you used worked ok

No sanding necessary.

Used acrylic spray paints.

Used acrylic paint on this sign, but have also used lacquer on lots of plastic pieces. Does not affect or melt even the cheap extruded plastics acrylics. Needed to have a blue transparent panel for this led backlit project. Used transparent blue Lacquer on this and no problems at all.

1 Like

What type of bit did you use ? I’ve used a couple , still looking for the best one .

Use single flute upcut bits for just about all my acrylic cuts. Use 2 flute up cut bits also. Cut slow router speed (Dewalt #1), fast IPM (80-100) shallow DOC (.003)

Used a different bit , worked awesome . Then proceeded to snap it off and another 10 minutes apart . Think I selected acrylic . What’s the proper material selection for Clear PVC Sheeting ?

I meant Plexiglass .

I would absolutely love it if inventables sent me a bunch of sample materials and tool then I could build a database of starter feeds and speeds for easel presets

your talking about the “o” bit?

@JeffParish

Okay. So this is what I understood. Is this how it works? :confused:

Yep…you got it!

Never used an O bit. Those are supposed to good for acrylics also.

I never use any of the material and cut settings in Easel. Most are very conservative and not optimal. I use a material that give me high contrast and a clear picture on the right.

I don’t think they got the “o” bit! But I did!

Not sure what you mean about getting the “0” bit comment. There is a zero flute “0” bit you realize.

I realize that there is a 0 flute bit. But a messed up bit is a dead bit. Therefore it needs a “o” bit.

1 Like