Plywood plywood plywood

It would be more of a convenience really(at least for me). I pay like $32 for 3/4 radiata or $56~ for 3/4 purebond. But I don’t have a truck so I have to get it cut down to fit in my vehicle. And my table saw is a small jobsite saw that has a rip cap of 22 inch(for now) so it becomes a hassle sometimes. And if I didn’t have the table saw, :zipper_mouth_face:

If Inventables could get it priced roughly the same plus whatever that convenience fee of them doing the work is, I’d be in. If I could get the equivalent of a 4x8 sheet(let’s say 8x 2x2 pcs for simplicity) I’d gladly pay like 10-15~ extra a sheet just to save the time spent at the store and cutting it down further. (I am talking full sheets here to keep pricing easy).

I feel shipping costs would be hard to make that work unless they got a phenomenal supplier or some awesome shipping rates so the profit may not be there.

1 Like

I see your point, but it might be a little extreme to say “be a fool to buy plywood from you.” Just because it doesn’t make sense for you and your situation does not mean that it would not make sense for anyone else.

For the reason I mentioned before, rather than me needing to go to a store, get it cut down and transported home, I would be willing to overpay slightly for the convenience of it arriving at my doorstep, assuming it is competitively priced.

I live in the DFW area. What wholesale store?

Menards has project sizes two by two, two by four etc.
Inventables would have to move a lot of plywood to be competitive.
Maybe if they were able to strike a deal directly with manufacturer but quantities would have to be high.

1 Like

most bigbox stores will cut 4x8 sheets to whatever size you tell them free of charge

1 Like

Can we focus on actual prices you would pay here? I understand all the concern but I just want to focus on how much you would actually pay.

OR

If you are saying there is NO PRICE you would buy plywood online even if it was the size of the cutting area that’s fine too.

For this to work we will be cutting a deal directly with the manufacturer and having sheets cut to size before they arrive. We will pick, pack, and ship the boards in a box and ship them for FREE.

It sounds like @PhilJohnson won’t be buying plywood from Inventables at any price. That’s cool. Totally understand. Anyone else have a number that makes sense for them?

1 Like

Here’s two stores down the street from me, and unless you can go cheaper then the big box stores then it maybe worth your effort.

1 Like

@Zach_Kaplan Honestly it depends on the type/quality. I’ll break it down for me at least.

I pay 32~ for 3/4 4x8 Radiata Pine 13 ply.
I’d probably say I’d pay 15~ to have it cut and delivered to my doorstep because that’s at least 2-3 hours of driving and cut time I don’t have to do in a small vehicle.
So $47 comes out to ~1.50/sqft. If y’all did work area sizes of 30x30 that works out to close to $9.50.
I’d use the same math for other types of ply as well like hardwood veneer, my cost + plus convenience broken down.
3/4 Hardwood veneer is ~50 which works out to 12.7 for 30x30.

This is pretty close to the Menards pricing from the looks of it.

Radiata Pine and Purebond(Or Sande) are really all I use(I like plywood furniture). Radiata is my substitute for birch because its high ply and it’s hard to find birch anywhere close. And I really like the Purebond hardwood veneers. I rarely ever buy anything but 3/4 for ply though but if I did, I’d apply the same formula there as well to get a ballpark of what I’d pay.

For me, I’d love to be able to pay a good price for a project size panel and be able to get a variety of hardwood veneer etc rather than grabbing full sheets (I cant justify getting project panels at big box stores when full sheets are less than $10 more). It would be awesome to grab a Walnut veneer sheet, carve and inlay some resin and have an awesome looking walnut sign without the cost of…well… walnut lol.

That’s where I’m at with it. Hope it helps!

1 Like

Didn’t even think of this. Good way to get margins in a good spot while keeping prices low.

They charge me per cut after the free one, It’s come to me just asking them to break sheets down to 4x 2x4 panels so I can get out of there. Last trip was close to 2 hours for a single sheet. For me, I’m ok paying a few bucks more to have that time back. If I had a truck or a bigger table saw it would be a non issue but you can only fit so much in a Rogue. lol

1 Like

All sounds good, but would have to be worth while for me and inventables, as was said about same price as the store, which I could go down the street and pick up what I need today and have it. As where I would have to wait for inventables to deliver it to me.
That would be great for people who can’t or don’t have big box stores around them other then that I’d have to see a nice price from inventables to make it worth it for me.
Now maybe if they offered some nice price exotic’s then that would be a different story.

It seems highly unlikely that we would be able to provide anything to @AngusMcleod the import duties and shipping to his island make it seemingly impossible.

Zach might not be completely off here. Sorry i can get sheet goods and also have a pickup but for the person that does not this might be an alright idea. Maybe if you would sell it in quatities instead of 1 piece. If you can get the ply bought right it is way cheaper to ship 3 or 4 piece together then just 1. I don’t mean it the way it sounds. If you buy 1 piece and ship it lets say it cost 20.00. If you buy 4 pieces and ship all 4 together it might cost 38.00. So if everything works together you can help get the price down. Maybe not what you could go pick it up for but it would help on the total cost. I hope this makes some sence.

1 Like

@WayneHall exactly. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Also what are the discounts we get for buying in high volume. A big portion of the cost of the wood at Home Depot is the transportation costs to the store.

Some people say Home Depot prices are expensive while others say they are cheap.

I understand. There is more involved then just buy plywood. There are shipping supplies and labor invilved. Plus there has to be a profit made or it does not work. With all of that considered you still need to be within reason as far as price to sell it. The idea is not for everyone but there are a lot of people that do not have the access to get it. You might do some comparing with rockler. I thought i got an email from them in the last couple of days about a wood sale and i think there was sheet goods on it. I can not seem to find it now. Might give an idea of what others are selling it for.

$0.60 to $0.70 / sq.ft. for 1/2" Baltic Birch.

Browsed this thread and if its covered already …my bad :wink:

As Angus suggested in the shoe thread - stock 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4" Aircraft Grade ply
Really a common product in balsa/wood RC aircraft and RC boat builders.

1 Like

A sheet that will fill my 1000mm X Carve would be interesting- well, a 4 or 6 sheet set, anyway. I can get a 2x4 1/4inch sheet at lowes for under 14 bucks,so i gotta consider that. But a 15-20/sheet price would at least catch my attention, yall’s shipping has always been quick - better than Amazon, most times, so the shipping would be a win.

Going anywhere takes time and depends on them being willing to cut in a timely fashion - precut sizes are a luxury, yes, but a huge boon to folks new to this, and for time and space limited folks.

1 Like

I’d be interested in this fir some thing similar to Baltic birch in 3/4 and 1/2 varieties, but I’m in hawaii, kauai to be exact. The supplier here sells a 4x8 sheet of Apple plywood for $130 (usd). Sadly, that’s my only option for high quality plywood. Home depot here sells normal plywood, but I need the higher quality product that comes with something similar to Baltic birch.

If it’s cheaper than $120 sheet (4x8) equivalent, I’m in :slight_smile:

I buy from home depot regularly, depending on my schedule if I don’t have time for cutting down to size I will buy 2’ x 2’ or 2’ x 4’ boards for most projects (quicker and convenient then cutting to size). I believe I pay around $15 per 2’x2’, or close to that. I would like to see $20 for a sheet of 750mmx750mm. I would buy in quantity and would love quantity discounts.

lowes makes two free cuts. each additional cut is .25 cent. I can get 4 sheets in a kia soul for less than $6 more and thats with a $2 tip for the guy who cuts it.

1 Like