Pocket for throwing horseshoe

A friend has asked me if I can make a pocket for a throwing horseshoe. The shoe belong to his father and he wants to give it as a gift to his sister. For some reason my brain is not working. My thought was getting a full size picture of the shoe and just importing to easel and make a pocket. Then do some measuring for the nubs to make that part of the pocket deeper as needed. I can’t seem to find an appropriate picture.
I have just started learning Vcarve desktop but still not very good at it yet.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!

Pat

I just finished scanning and importing to easel. When importing it shrunk it. If I get the actual measurement( my micrometer is no big enough) and input the measurement into easel and keeping the lock tab lock in the shape tab, I should be good to go. It is close right now might need some tweaking. For the nubs on the bottom I will probably have to do carve out deeper with a rotary tool.
Thanks for the help Robert

I have Vcarve desktop. Like I said I am still learning. Before I saw your reply I started doing it on Vcarve. I have imported the image and just now messing with bitmap trace. I am in the process of eliminating the “noise”. I can generate the tool paths for the main pocket no problem. The other pockets…not so much.

I recently came across this issue of a deeper pocket needed on a portion of a piece. On one, the deeper portion was outside the main body of the part i was cutting. tis I resolved using the “layers” operation to generate a second tool path. Today, I needed to cut a deeper pocket within a pocket I had just cut.
Set up the pocketing tool path like normal, but pay attention to the starting depth at the top of the toolpathing window the start depth should be the same as the pocket you are working in and it will generate a toolpath to make a relief for the heels of the shoe.

I hope that makes some kind of sense, and perhaps someone will chime in and expand upon what I have offered.
Though i have been doing this for a while I tend to be a slow learner and am still peeling back the layers of v-carve myself.

1 Like

I see what you are saying.
I love learning new things. The thing is, the older I get, the longer it takes to process haha

1 Like

I am having problems doing the bitmap trace. It is not tracing the whole horseshoe. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

This is my jpeg and a screenshot of the bitmap tracing.

THe 3rd pic is a jpeg of the shoe scanned with the side that will be displayed showing
I am at a loss right now.
Just noticed its upside down…ooops

The one side being a bit out of focus is what is causing your issue. I am going to try taking your 3rd image and see if I can trace it.
heres what i came up with.

I did find that it needs to be a really crisp clear image to get a good trace from otherwise the software really tries to fill in the gaps. I did alot of deletion of extra garbage and some node editing then split the image down the middle, deleted one side and mirrored the other and reconnected it.

1 Like

I figured that was part of the problem. Can’t close the scanner lid all the way due to the thickness of the horshoe. I will try the black background as well as try to learn the mirroring.
Thank you both for the input. I will get this eventually.

Try leaving the scanner lid up and cover the horseshoe and scanner glass with white paper.

1 Like