Pocket size is smaller than original design

New to easel, and still on the learning curve. Trying to make a 3mm deep pocket rectangle with rounded corners. I exported an svg with this simple vector, measures 85mm by 54mm. Using a 1/8 bit with 2 flute upcut. The pocket is coming ok in width dimension (85mm) but it’s coming short 2mm on height dimension (54mm).

Already did different exports from illustrator, with expand outline and saving with resizing unchecked. The image has the right dimensions on the easel canvas, but after finishing carving, its physical height does not match the dimensions I have on canvas.

Did 3 tries in the past week, in between other types of carving, and this problem persists.

You may have to adjust your GRBL settings a few times to really get things accurate. See my post in this thread and see if it make sense to you.

Calibrating my X-carve 1000 - X-Carve - Inventables Community Forum

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add in my post that my grbl $100 and $101, the steps setting, are well calibrated. I even measured with a ruler. I also calibrated my acceleration and max rate.

I have no issues when using laser mode and managed to laser cut the exact same vector in the right dimensions.

Did you calibrate the $102 setting; $102 is the Z steps/mm setting? Also, if you want the most accuracy, you will want to use something more accurate than a ruler. You can use a digital caliper which will allow you to calibrate to tighter tolerances.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Hello Brandon, thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact I did measure with a digital caliper. I have one beside me all the time :grinning: and it is my go-to measurer !

I did not however, calibrate the z-step setting… I will look into this, but I have some doubts this could be the issue. The pocket is coming around 2.5mm short of height dimension (ie the y axis not z-axis)… this is quite a deviation from the original design.

I will take a pic tomorrow of the design and the final product measured with the digital calipers :slightly_smiling_face:

I would check your belt tension, V wheel tightness, and check for a loose pulley too. I make my wheels tight so a finger can just spin them. That has worked well for me for a few years.

Make sure you measure the actual bit from time to time. Wear makes the bit thinner and that changes the precision.

@MartinW.Mcclary I believe the 3018 does not use a belt for movement, but I will check on the “cogs”.
@BretRichards Having a new machine, I’m still using very new as well bits. I only carved 5 projects thus far. Two of them were linoleum, the other 3 were attempts at making this pocket. All 3 attempts came out with the same discrepancy, and were made in different time periods where I had changed back to laser cutting in between.

Here is a pic of the design and the pocket using a digital calipers.

I see, I thought you were having depth issues…

Are you also measuring your bit with the calipers and inputting that value into Easel as the bit width? If that is not the issue then either the calibration is still off or there is some type of discrepancy in the physical machine (like backlash or something).

Brandon Parker

I have noticed discrepancies like this when importing SVG from AI, both when I was running an X-carve and now when I’m running a Onefinity thru easel… Haven’t spent too much time tracking it down, but it can happen.

Right, sorry for any confusion. Lesson learned regarding correct terminology when dealing with 3 axis.

I do measure the bit as well with my caliper and insert that into Easel. For this job I used a two flute upward 3.1mm

Thanks for the input, maybe there is something with AI and SVG. I can try converting to gcode using another software and import that into easel.

It should not matter what format your design comes into Easel as unless you are just importing GCode. The GCode output is calculated by Easel and interpreted by the firmware on the controller. Any discrepancy between what the design/GCode states for the Z depth vs. what is being carved out lies in the calibration for the machine unless there is something physically binding/slipping with the machine.

Brandon Parker

I think it is the calibration of your y servos somehow. It is repeating which means the machine is doing the same thing. The X is producing the correct width. The G-code is telling your servo to turn to move your carriage so far. IF your X carve thinks that the servo needs to run 20 times to go a certain distance but it really needs to turn 20.5.

You are at the limit of my knowledge but I think it is calibration.

Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.