Polishing acrylic

Has anyone had any luck with polishing acrylic edges with a buffing wheel? I picked up a 6" buffing disk for grinder and when I run the edges of my acrylic thru it, I’m not really satisfied with the result. Small areas look like they smoothed out, but not on a whole like I was expecting.

I"ve seen video’s where people use those and end up with a mirror-like reflection so maybe I’m missing something. I saw one video on youtube by a Chinese lady and it looked like they treated their buffing wheel with chalk before they used it. I’m not sure if that is normal or not.

Any suggestions? I tried using a flame, but that just didn’t work out that great for me.

Thanks,

Tim.

Not chalk. polishing rouge
https://www.amazon.com/Enkay-150-Polishing-Compound-4-Piece/dp/B0009SPY04/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477918012&sr=8-3&keywords=polishing+rouge

Thanks!

Tim.

I know this is more expensive than MAPP or propane but is a fascinating tool with many more uses than polishing acrylic.

Portable Oxygen Hydrogen Water Welder Flame Polisher Polishing Machine H160 75L

Description:
Synthetic glass (acrylic) polishing, Oxy-hydrogen generator is a machine using high temperature flame to make acrylic edge smooth and bright
The heat polishing on the acrylic rough surface can be achieved as long as the flame passing by gently, and the acrylic products will become glittery and bright

Used for:
Heat treatment for metal parts
Weld the hinge of spectacles rim
Seal the injection glass bottle, conforming to GMP industrial standards
Fuse the lead or tin alloy plate for storage battery
Cut and fuse quartz or fine parts etc
Peel off FPC of computer, fuse LED chip and thermocouple
Weld jewelry made of gold, silver, copper, lead, tin casting etc, such as stud, safety pin, chain etc
Polish irregular acrylic surface. After polish, the work piece will be smooth and shiny.

https://www.amazon.com/SigntigerGentle-Portable-Hydrogen-Generator-Polishing/dp/B01KLLB7HW/ref=pd_day0_60_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0YNT3BS21X3KKWS507QM

nice to know ideas for this

hho generators are pretty simple in design and build from everyday parts. And if you assembled and set up your xcarve then this is a very simple task. just remember to use a a flash back arrestor at very least.

@ShaneBell After finding the HHO generator, I found a bunch of info available and some great videos on YouTube. It does seem easy to DIY but then again working with hydrogen, I would rather have one that has been designed and manufactured by a professional!

2 Likes

You can smooth them out nicely with fine grit sand paper and plastic polishing.
You need to work your way down to finer grit, 800-1200grit area and the polish for smooth surface. Novus is a brand name of plastic cleaner (3 steps with light abrasive steps followed by polish/shine)

Link to Novus:

(I have used their products but otherwise unaffiliated with them)

Something about the warnings make me a little nervous…