Port Problems!

Hmm I might have found something, when I updated window and it updated 213 items, none of the service packs were included in that, Java requires vista service pack 1 and 2 for vista!! But when I search for windows updates, none of the service packs come up, then I read that if it doesn’t come up its because I need to update other items first, crazy, I have to update in steps till I get service pack 2 I guess!!

Chrome is not supporting Java anymore. Will ignore Java installation commands. IE is sucks as always. But, for the registry access, you may try Firefox for Java installation, then IE picking up correct Java version from registry values.
Another saying, if Java installation says installation succesfull any way, rest of them start using it. When I read this article, I thought I will be stuck with Mozilla (some how I never like it). But know, everything works fine, especially UGS is working great.

That was a little difficult to understand but I think your saying use firefox to install Java cause Chrome doent support the Install and IE sucks for the Install, and once fire fox installs Java then Java works with the rest of the browsers…right?

1 Like

That’s all I did, I have no JAVA problems at least.

Will do! First I have to get these service packs installed. Work on it after work today!!

Make sure you’re not trying online version of Java installation, must be downloaded and start clean.
Also some one in this forum was trying 64 Bit Java installation on 32 Bit PC. I’m sure you are aware of that.
If you want to know more about 1603 error message, you can check this site, might help.

Yea I’ve seen their video, only problem is I have Vista Home Edition! PDQ Deploy doesn’t work with Home Edition, lol. That’s why I researched further and found that Java for vista requires SP2 minimum so I started updating Vista. Hopefully that was the only reason for the 1603.

1 Like

So this is turning out to be quit the challenge! I’m still working on getting the computer with Vista all updated, I couldn’t get past updating SP1 cause it was not installing correctly, it would say install successful but when I go to search for updates there it was and I couldn’t move on to other updates cause it kept saying I needed SP1.I tried about 6 times and same thing. Then I found the fix at technet, I had to run a separate update, download the SP1 stand alone file, turn off all my start up programs, restart computer and then install the file!!! Now I am moving on to more updates till I can get to SP2 LOL!! Mind you this is all on my dads computer, not even my computer, just to see if everything is working in Vista. Then I have to figure out if I’m going to troubleshoot my computer or downgrade it to vista!! Lmao!!

Just clear my mind, why you’re stick with Vista. Microsoft stopped servicing XP and Vista. It will be same for Vindows7 soon. Anyway you can upgrade Windows8 either 32 or 64. I don’t know what kind of computer you have, but I thing you better move on with cheapest alternatives.

So here is why I am trying Vista! My computers all run Windows 7 because I really hate Windows 8 and have been avoiding upgrading, personal preference! The only other computer I had on hand that doesn’t have windows 7 is my fathers computer that has Vista right now!! So just to see if its a problem in having with Windows 7, I am trying vista which so far has worked with easel and I’m trying to update vista to download Java so that I can download UGS so that I can test if I can also connect there! That would tell me that I have a problem with my OS and not my X CARVE. right?
Also i mentioned downgrading my computer because if I cant get Windows 7 to work I may as well get something that will, and if vista works it would be cheaper to just put vista on my computer than it would to put windows 8 and hopefully that would hold me tell Windows 10 comes out in July, that actually acknowledges the Arduino and the drivers!

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say you don’t know what you’re doing, I just want to know the differences between operating systems. Because of past USB problems I had. Thanks for the explanation. I was almost changing to Linux system once.

Also I want to know more about Windows10. Because anything I have read about it, supports Arduino drivers on Pi and Mobile equipment. Couldn’t find straight answer for Windows PCs or Windows Laptops. They says Windows devices. We’ll see.

I just scanned back through this thread to pick up the gist of it. If it’s any consolation, Easel has always worked just fine on all three of my Win7/64 computers. BUT, I had a sudden issue with Easel in Firefox a couple of months ago. I reported it here and started using Easel in Chrome and it worked fine. After a few weeks of using Chrome, there was an update to Firefox that seemed to help a couple of issues. I tried Easel in Firefox again and it has been working fine.

One thing I have always done with Win7 is to keep up with all updates on a weekly basis. The same is true with Firefox.

Do you think using com port as Universal Serial Port. Because I still couldn’t solve my USB problem. Middle of the job, UGS lost connectivity. My Desktop PC has new high end Asus motherboard with USB2-USB3 and USB3.1
Now I have only USB3 and USB3.1, couldn’t make machine recognize 2.0 anymore.
Only problem using fast USB ports is unacceptable speed behaviors sometimes UGS or Easel locks up.
I didn’t have this problem before connecting Arduino. Maybe we need to use external power for Arduino. What do you think.

I always use Chrome when I try to use Easel, in fact I pretty much use chrome for everything, even though it has given me some problems with add on’s in the past!! And still on my Windows 7 computers it will recognize the port and the Arduino but just want connect, or i should say communicate with that port!!
But I do need to update my windows 7 updates!!

OK so Im back to were I started this mess!! I cant connect to UGS, I cant connect to easel and thats on Windows 7 or Vista!! the only thing in common between the 3 machines is the Arduino/Grbl. Im running out of ideas!!! And I am beyond frustrated!!..I dont know!!

Here is what UGS error says: No driver for port COM4. The Arduino is clearly on COM4. I have even tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I have tried to update the drivers and says its already up to date.

Here is what Easel says: Cant find machine automatically.

If anyone has any ideas, Im all out!!

I had a similar issue, where the unit was detected but for some reason every now and then it wouldn’t connect unless I did a full restart of my computer and the power supply. Eventually the gShield complete blew up (check out the Y-Axis in the pic) and it had to be replaced.

Thanks, Ill take a look at it after work today and go from there. In a way I hope thats it cause Im tired of messing with this thing!! Im not really sure how Im going to troubleshoot that if it doesnt look blown yet!! lol. And any more suggestions is still welcome!!

OK so sitting at work worrying about this dang Xcarve and what the heck could be wrong with it. When I get home I will check the Arduino and Grbl boards for any signs of shorting or anything else, I am going to check the connection between the Arduino and Grbl and I also read that a guy had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad USB cable…Im not sure if I have another cable to to test with but I will look! After that I think its up to the inventables team or anyone else that has any ideas!! Im not sure what more I can do. I mean I could break own my Desktop and drag everything out to the garage and try that as well but Im not sure it would give me any different results!!
Zach does your Tech team have any input???

Hi @ThomasGonzales sorry you are having problems. Our Customer Success team works with folks directly on problems like this at help@inventables.com Have you emailed them yet?

They will work with you, escalate things to engineering, and if a part needs to be replaced they will take care of it for you.