Possible bug in Import SVG

When I import this into Easel, it imports at an odd position. The Y of the imported circle seems to be related to the move command ( ignoring mm and inch ), but X is ignored.

My expectation is that the circle should be imported at (25,25) mm, with a radius of 25mm. If the move command is going to be respected, it seems to be only respected in the Y and not X direction.

When you import .svg files into Easel, it aligns the bottom and left of your artwork to 0,0. It only keeps the alignment of objects relative to each other, not the work canvas.
So, if you want your circle to be at X25mm Y25mm, you’d have to create a bounding box at 0,0 (which you’d later delete) Try this:

It ought to give you a circle within a square. Once you delete the square, the circle should be at 25mm x 25mm.

Does that help?

Thanks, but that is just a work around for the issue I identified. I can easily get this to import at the correct location by removing the path statement.

If this is a bug as I think it is, it might explain why some people have objects not importing in the correct place.

@rodovich or @paulkaplan can you take a look at this and see if it’s working the way you think it should.

Hi @Andy4us, can you clarify what you mean by

If the move command is going to be respected, it seems to be only respected in the Y and not X direction.

and

I can easily get this to import at the correct location by removing the path statement.

It sounds like you’re referring to a path element containing M or m (move) commands in its d attribute, but the SVG file you attached contains only a single circle element, no path elements so maybe I’m misunderstanding something.

This is correct. I don’t remember offhand why we did it this way. It might have to do with some SVG files having large but mostly-empty viewBoxes. (In particular, I think Inkscape defaults to A4 paper size for new documents, which is slightly larger than the work area of the 500mm X-Carve or SO2.)