Possibly dumb work cabinet idea: Tilted X-carve bench assembly?

Quick question here. I know the workspace and wasteboard needs to be as planar as possible…but does it have to be level?

If I built a cabinet assembly that held the whole X-carve workspace at an angle, I’d gain some shop floor space. I’d raise the workspace back edge such that I’d have better visual and hand access when tightening down workpieces. I’d gain shelf space below it (maybe the new Xcontroller fits better all the way up high in the back, protected from more dust). And I could perhaps incorporate a front-edge vacuum ‘trough’ to help collect dust sliding forward. And I’d pretty much completely remove the temptation to use the currently big flat wasteboard as a temporary place to toss stuff when working on other tools such as the table saw… :wink:

Granted the motors now have to work harder to travel in -Y vs. +Y. The spindle is now rotating with an axis off vertical as well. Work pieces must be attached well, but then again that’s a good idea regardless.

Are there any other downsides / cautions anyone can think of? I wouldn’t go completely vertical or anything fully ludicrous like that, but a 30deg angle from level means a 1.1m table (43.3in) on a 30deg slant is only 37.5in deep front to back. Going as far as 45deg it’s down to under 31inches. It doesn’t sound like much but 6-12inches is a lot in a packed garage…

My Xcarve has been languishing unused for a while and I’m trying to figure out how I can perhaps make it easier to access, hence a new mobile bench at a minimum so I get get it in a free space, and/or something like this so I have more room around it.