Pottery Stamp

Attached is what simulates with a 2 step carve using a 1/8th and a 1/32
Then using a 1/8th and a 30*
Neither “show” fine enough detail. Am I trying to cut something to fine for an X Carve?

That looks like the stamp is raised above the wood rather than carved down into the wood. Such carves take longer and are harder to do, but may be required to stamp pottery.

As with all stamps, remember that you need to reverse everything left to right. When you look at the stamp it should read backwards, but it will look correct on the stamped object.

For something like a pottery stamp, I would recommend a material like Corian.

1 Like

Yes the detail may be to small. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea.

1 Like

Yes sir it is raised. And I will defiantly flip the design prior to cutting.
I’m mainly trying to figure out how to get the cleanest cut while providing the finest detail possible.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for helping out Wayne!

1 Like

How did you bring the image into Easel? You might be losing the detail at that point. Have you tried making it a vector graphic before importing it?

I just used the Image Trace option as that is the only function I am familiar with. Is there a tutorial on how to make it a vector graphic?

Inkscape is a free program that can do it. I’m not exactly great with Inkscape, but I think I managed to accomplish it…
pottery
EDIT: I tried using “upload” to attach the svg file to this comment, but it doesn’t appear to have worked…
This is a screen-grab of how it looks in Easel:

(Background is carved to a depth of 0.1", and the stamp image is at 0-depth. The image is not reversed, so don’t forget that step!)

1 Like

Holy cow that looks so much cleaner! I’m currently carving a test run right now. Estimates 3 hours.
I will defiantly play around with that website and learn what I can. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so.

Here’s my project shared if you just want to use this one. But you might want to get Inkscape and have a go at it. Like I said, I’m not great with it.

4 Likes

You are amazing. Thank you so much.

How are you importing Inkscape to Easel? I keep getting this message on another project I’m working on.

Go to File, Save As, SVG
You can only save VECTORS, if you have any pictures or type when you save the SVG Easel will not open it.

2 Likes

When you create an SVG in inkscape you have to remember to delete the original import that you brought into it, this might be why you are getting this message. When you save as an SVG then you only get the vector you created. This is the message I get when I forget to delete it.

1 Like

ahh very well. Thank you Steve. I will give that a try!

How did the Pottery Stamp turn out?
What material did you use?
My daughter wants me to make her a stamp for soap that she has for her baby shower and its going to be about an inch big.
Thanks
Russell

I’m waiting on the Corian I ordered to get here. I had some other wood laying around but it was apparently to soft as the lettering broke away.
I also ordered some hockey pucks as I saw some people make stamps with those. So I will update once I attempt on those materials.

1 Like

Awesome… I’m not the only X-Carve owner that’s used their machine for a potter’s stamp.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

That looks really good man! What settings did you use to cut yours? And material type?

Thanks!

I have used wood, plastic, and aluminum for stamps so far. I would recommend a very tight-grained wood and hard plastic if you go that route. I have a modified machine, so my settings will not really be useful for you. You should use the best settings for the material on your machine. I will say that the more detail you cram into a smaller space the lower angle V-Bit you are going to want to be able to produce that detail. I think the one I showed above came out OK with a 60-degree V-Bit.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like