Power Supply

I am assuming that the stock power supply, 400W, for the X-Carve was designed to also run their spindle. Since that is no longer available, what is the minimum current needed to just run Nema 23’s ? I’m trying to see if any of the others offered would work as well.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/enclosed-power-supply

I’m not worried about using Power Supply Interface PCB since I’m happy to connect directly to the power supply, and a lot of the functionality of that PCB seems to be for their spindle as well,

thanks,

Andy

We have a bit on this on the ShapeOko wiki:

If you have NEMA23 motors, how much power you need and how much your gShield can get out of them depends on their impedance and rated current. You need 150-200 W for four small (50 mm) NEMA23 motors rated 1.5 to 2 A. With lower impedance motors (such as the 2.8 A motors sold by Inventables as of July 2014), the gShield won’t be able to achieve the rated current, so a smaller supply will do (say, 120-150 W). It may be a good idea to connect the Y motors in series in this case, or to use a four-driver shield.

I don’t know the exact minimum, but I’m personally using a 200W supply at 19.5 volts and seems to be working fine. If I was going to upgrade, I’d really want to step up to a 30V supply for the theoretical additional torque.

–Rick

The gShield allows 1.75 - 2.5A per channel (average to peak current draw) at 24V, so you will be able to power it with a 24V power supply between 126 - 180W. I would personally use a power supply that allows for the maximum current (180W +), in cases where your stepper motors require a large current surge to move from a stationary position.