Precision image trace

Hi guys, total newb here. I have a small business making “widgets” that are basically comprised of 3, flat 2d pieces. All I’m looking to do is automate the cutting process. I have many many templates that I need to get into the software. (Playing with easel now)
I’d like to image trace them but it needs to be precise, otherwise the pieces won’t fit together properly.
What’s the best, most precise method of getting my flat, 2D templates into easel with accuracy? I was thinking about a scanner.
Also, is there different software more suited to my needs? Using the yorahome silverback CNC

My thought on this is if accuracy is really important, I’d load the original drawings and create the needed g code toolpaths. If you don’t have originals, then it might be useful to get a cad program and make them. If you had to, you could scan them and load a pdf into a cad program and then adjust the lines as needed.

2 Likes

Creating basic shapes in Easel is fairly straightforward. Unless you have some really good SVG or DXF files then creating them in Easel is going to be the most precise method.

Do you have the exact dimensions on a schematic? If you can share that then we can help show you how to put something together in Easel. Otherwise, feel free to PM me if you want someone to try and make these parts for you in Easel.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

If you want “close enough” then you can probably get away with re-designing within easel from measurements of the part…

But for precision mechanical designs I’d re-design them from scratch using Fusion360. You can also import a photo and re-trace it, adding precision arcs, and accurately measured features, right on top of the photo sitting semitransparently in the background, kinda like this:

1 Like

I do have the originals. This is what I build…
The process is started by tracing the templates that I make my hand onto my Lexan material and then cutting out by hand. All the templates were designed on the car body, there are no schematics or anything of the sort, simply my templates with the appropriate markings that I need for the bending process later

image|666x500

There’s definitely an acceptable tolerance but it is very small. They are all built by hand now and are precise as I can get under the circumstances. Here’s an example of what one of my pieces looks like after it’s traced, cut sanded and drilled. This is what I need the automation for, is to get me to this point.

2 Likes

Technically, there is no need to say “close enough” with respect to Easel. Easel is more than capable of allowing someone to design prices/parts to specifications/tolerances smaller than an X-Carve can actually achieve.

In this case, both Easel and the X-Carve should be able to produce these types of parts well within the required tolerances.

If you are new to Fusion 360, I would suggest taking a look here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Fusion-360-Free-License-Changes.html

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Do-I-qualify-for-free-use-of-Fusion-360.html

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Take a good photo, on a plain background, with some reference for scale.
Import photo into Inkscape (or your vector program of choice), and spend some time with it there. Won’t take too long to get good at it.

EDIT: Here’s a rough trace of the image you uploaded, done in Inkscape, by hand, with no scale.
inventablesForum1

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.