Probably my favorite bit so far "2 weeks in"

Your welcome. :slight_smile: I think I will order some of those too. They will be much easier to use as I do not need the adapter with them.
:smiley:

What did you set the bit size at?

In aspire I set it up as an engraving bit 30degree .01 flat diameter , shaft diameter .0125, wont work in easel what cad/cam software are you using?

i dont have any at the moment :frowning: I’ve just been using easel.

The 3d carving stuff is fun, U can download Fusion360 it has a really steep learning curve but it does 3d and v-carving and best of all its free for hobbyist!

1 Like

how are you guys setting up v-bits in Fusion 360? The only way I was able to do was using a chamfer bit that modified.

And second question… once you have a v-bit like this set up, what CAM operation are you doing to mill it out?

I’m sorry I run aspire not fusion I won’t be much help to you.

yeah, i’ve looked into doing that in fusion, and the only bit type i could find that made sense was chamfer. In addition, if I set the tip radius to 0 (for a pointed tip), Fusion 360 just basically crashes. So I had to set it to something really small. I was just hoping someone might have some more details on that.

Yeah, I’ve done quite a bit of milling in Fusion 360. I’ve quite a few with parallel operations with things like ball end mills like in the video you suggested. But I’ve never done any with a v-bit. I’ve done the “project” operation to engrave text using a v-bit in Fusion… but not 3d geometry like folks in this thread were doing.

Anyhow, was just hoping there were some folks who have set up v-bits in fusion 360 and I’m wondering if they had to use a chamfer tool “type” with a non-zero tip radius.

I think v-carving is a new feature in fusion check YouTube I think I saw a video about it …

Both of the big box stores in our area, Lowe’s and HD, have small sections of “hobby” wood. I have bought 2.5" x 36" oak and poplar for some signs. Not too pricy–oak is the most expensive and poplar and alder are less. Like all wood purchases I pay attention to straightness and the presence of knots, etc.