Problem when using pro carve

https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/3/0/30947b01778e439cf03101e892a16302fa601774.mp4Just replaced Z axis motor as I thought it was the problem. Nope. As you can tell the machine is carving nothing, just a test so you can hear sound. Doesn’t matter how slow you go still crunchy sound & jerky movement. Only when using pro carve. Really need this fixed. Like yesterday. Checked belts and rollers everything is good & works great as long as I’m not using pro carve.
https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/3/0/30947b01778e439cf03101e892a16302fa601774.mp4
If the link doesn’t work I apologize in advance. New to the video link thing.

When you say Pro carve, do you mean Easel Pro? So a v carve project, with lots of z changes?

What does it sound like when you just use the motion control buttons to raise and lower the spindle? No crackling/buzzing sound?

Also, is the sound coming from your controller, or from the z axis motor?

1 Like

If you’re talking about the grinding sort of noise around 20 seconds into the video, check your adjustable V-wheels on the Z-axis. Mine are very particular, and have to be in just the right position to move smoothly.

If you’re talking about the other jittering sounds, it may be from the way Easel creates toolpaths. I read somewhere else that Easel doesn’t do curves, but straight lines, and so what should be a smooth motion ends up being a lot of very small adjustments over a short period of time.

1 Like

Yes easel pro. When it needs to do complex movements it seems to bind.

Checked all the adjustments more than once & can’t see/feel anything that would seem to be causing the problem as everything moves smoothly independently & when carving until it has to do complex movement.

Coming from Z axis

Without running a carve, what does it sound like when you just move the spindle up and down in small increments?

Also, have you run this carve? Does it look okay? How is your z axis calibration?

1 Like

This sounds like some of the jobs that I run using g-code generated using Fusion360 for Adaptive Pockets and Adaptive Clearance. In those routines, the code runs really small movements in all three accesses as it makes curves and circles and ramps up and down.

Steps that I take now before starting any job - really clean the travel ways for the V-Grove wheels - with specific care on the z-axis. I have found times where dust gets caked in the wheels and cause the z-axis to bind.

1 Like

Hi Rick,

I can’t view the video above. Can you share the project URL? If you click “No” at the end of the carve when it asks if everything turned out OK, you can then submit an error report to Inventables. This will capture all of the information about your carve and open a case for us to take a look.

Everything sounds and moves fine as you can see in my video. Everything moves full range of machine independently with no problems. All my calibration appears to be fine. David Schneider actually addresses the concern I’m having, when it’s making curves or circles while ramping up or down it seems like it’s binding. It’s not really the noise that concerns me I just don’t want to hurt the machine or run into a problem down the road.
Thank You

Hey David, I clean the machine after every use because of where it’s located I can’t leave it messy. But what you’re saying seems to cover my problem exactly. When it does the ramp up & down movements doing a carve that would require the V-bit it seems like it’s stuttering/binding & maybe that’s normal. As I don’t know anyone who owns one of the machines I don’t really know what normal is. So I may be obsessing over something that’s nothing

Thank You

Hi Jeff. My computer doesn’t stay connected to the internet when I go to the garage to carve. Damn internet. So I don’t know how/of I can share info. The carves look ok and the machine does do the job, My concern is that something would be hurt on machine down the road. I’ll try and repost video if that would help
Thank You

Hi Rick,

You can leave the “Did everything turn out?” screen up after the carve and take your computer back to wherever you have Internet and submit it from there. Would that work? You can also attach the video to the error report.

Cheers,
Jeff

1 Like

I will try that Thank You Jeff