I am testing out cutting cast acrylic with Easel and Carvey.
I am using the single flute upcut 1/8 bit supported in Easel with default settings for Acrylic.
I have a 5mm acrylic sheet fastened to a 2mm one with double sided tape, and I cut a inner circle 5mm deep, then a larger circle around it 1mm deep.
Finally, I cut a rectangle around the two circles 5mm deep.
The upcut bit seems to be a good match for the acrylic, and I didn’t have any problems with melting. Overall, the shape is good, but there are some obvious problems:
The spindle touchdown points for both the circles and rectangle are slightly below where the cut should be. This results in bumps at the bottom of each circle and a small piece that sticks out at one of the corners of the rectangle.
The vertical cuts of the rectangle (especially) are not even, and slant slightly. It looks like this is worst in the vertical direction, but I haven’t measured it.
(See attached images).
I also cut another 5mm sheet alone with only 4mm cuts to make sure my double-sided tape isn’t messing things up, and it turned out exactly the same.
I published the easel project here: https://www.inventables.com/projects/acrylic-test-1