Problems with carving surfaces

Hi there,

I have problems with carving surfaces with my new x-carve and hope to get some help .
My assets are:

• 1000x1000 x-carve
• soft wood
• 1/16 carving bit downcut and 1/32 carving bit downcut
• Slow speed settings

When I try to carve a flat surface, the z-axis accurancy is very poor. Means, that the surface is not flat rather uneven. There are clear carving lines visible due to unstable z-axis. I carved in two different steps (two different bit sizes).

I recalibrate the v-wheels but it didn’t change the result

My delrin nut runs very hard on the leadscrew. Maybe the z-axis motor has problems with this? Can this cause the effect?

Thanks very much for your help.

Evelyn

check your Y axis wheels, if they’re loose, they’ll cause the gantry to rotate slightly as the Z plunges into the material. I had the same problem. Resolved it.

Check all v wheels.
How are you setting Z zero during bit changes?

There is a possibility you need to tram your machine.

simple-assembly-alignment-and-tramming-test-tool

If you want, posting a picture might help.

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for your tips. I checked all v wheels and adjusted them again. Also I carved my project again with just one single bit. The effect was the same (see attached photo).
I suspect that maybe the material is not fixed very good. Becaus on one side of my project, the machine carves exactly. But on the other side, the lines are not flat. I will try it again with better fixing.

Best regard, Evelyn

Hi Traxxtar,

thank you very much for your tips. I checked all v wheels and adjusted them again. Also I carved my project again with just one single bit. The effect was the same (see attached photo).
I suspect that maybe the material is not fixed very good. Becaus on one side of my project, the machine carves exactly. But on the other side, the lines are not flat. I will try it again with better fixing.

Best regard, Evelyn