Project you are most proud of

Looks good, and you spelled Olsen right :slight_smile:

1 Like

My gate. It has been a long time coming. I used my X-Carve 1000 x 1000 to carve all the curved parts, all the internal mortise and tenon joints and of course the v-carved image in the top panel.

34 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

My two concert ukes
On the left - Sitka top, sapele neck and body, pau ferro bridge/fretboard, walnut binding, resin inlay

On the right - Western red cedar top, honduran mahogany neck, ovangkol body, ebony bridge/fretboard, flame maple binding (never again), mother of pearl dots and corian headstock inlay. 3x piezo pickups!

On both, everything possible was rough cut on the x-carve, except for the neck profile and scarf joint.

16 Likes

That is truly beautiful work

So far, the project I’m most proud of is a design I did for a customer. She wanted a Connect 4 game, customized for her daughters wedding. The result is in the photos.

s

16 Likes

3D topo carve

Here’s my prototype pine carve of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque. THe x-y is about 7 by 9 inches and total hight is 1 1/2 inches. I made a few mistakes but I know how to fix for the final carve in walnut. Super happy with the result.

Sandias Looking East.JPG

Sandias Looking North.JPG

Sandias Looking South.JPG

18 Likes

I love those topographic maps. I recently did one of my area as well.

4 hours with a 1/8th ballnose
Solid Spruce Wood sheet_cutlasercut

27 Likes

You must live in Illinois…

3 Likes

@ChrisLafleur that is absolutely a work of art!! I want to do a mountain here in Kentucky that my grandpa ran the state park for in the 70s. I just need to get my 3D software first. Do you just use an actual topo map and work from there to create it?

http://jthatch.com/Terrain2STL/

7 Likes

Thanks Brian! I used the website that xfredericox provided above. It’s very simple to use and gives you a stereolithograph file (stl). I imported that into meshCAM which generated the toolpath (gcode). Because there was so much waste wood to remove I did a rough cut first with a 1/2 inch bit and then a detail cut with a ballnose.

1 Like

This is a Cornhole game I made as a wedding gift for a friend. The letter is for his last name. I used walnut plywood and birch plywood for the inlays. Using the inlay generator worked great. The tolerances were perfect, no hand work was needed.

25 Likes

That is very nice!

Looks great! I’ve never seen walnut plywood before around here.

Just finished up this guitar. Im just getting into using my x-carve and learning what it can do. I built the design in easel by borrowing the pocket sizes from the @SteveCarmichael guitar build. I wanted to change the shape of the guitar so I used the image trace feature with a guitar outline I found on google. I used a pre-made neck for my first attempt. Its basic but it works and im pretty happy with how it turned out!

15 Likes

So cool. Wow!

1 Like

Oh man, that’s killer Zach! Well done! Glad you could use the neck pocket dimensions and it fit ok.

4 Likes

Thanks Steve! It was a perfect fit, just a generic pre-made neck from Amazon. Thanks for sharing your easel project!

1 Like

It is not flat enough. I see grooves in the grain pattern.

1 Like