Question about this bit

I was given this bit for free. My knowledge isn’t the greatest and tried looking on the forum. But ideally what would this be used for.

1 Like

very tiny detail work. maybe pcbs and such

2 Likes

I use a 1/32nd 2-flute for small lettering in wood.

Chachin…

1 Like

When you feel the need to watch a tiny piece of metal break in half, this is the bit you will load in the collet.

9 Likes

So basically this bit prob isn’t for me and no wonder this person gave me the bit for free. Haha

2 Likes

They are very fragile. I’ve already broken 2 but one was an errant 5 inch downward jog of the Z axis. I use mine for tiny details. The cutting length is usually incredibly small as well. I think mine only have like an 1/8" cutting length.

2 Likes

1/32 is hardy compared to the .01 carbide drills I use in heat treated stainless steel at work. lol

2 Likes

Technically an “end mill” cuts best on its end and should only be used to cut shallow slots or holes

I wouldn’t discard the tool so quickly. Below is an example of the lettering I’ve been able to achieve with mine. I added a ruler for scale.

I run mine at 10 IPM and .010" DOC with good results in wood. But again, mine is a 2 flute, which I think is better suited for our fast turning routers. With 4 flute you technically need to move (IPMs) quite a bit faster and maybe shallower to avoid breakage.

Chachin…

2 Likes

its cnc swiss machine. It was tedius at first but now it is a dream…lol

1 Like

The hole is done with the drill…that drill is .0157. And the machine I do it on.

2 Likes

Looks awesome Phil. I’ll pick up a 20° V bit on my next order and give it a shot :).

Chachin…

1 Like

What do you use in the bit settings for Easel for this bit?

That is especially true for inexpensive bits. If you order cheap Chinese bits on eBay there is a good chance that they have been re-sharpened which really reduces the stated diameter. The tools are still good and work just fine, but you will need to measure and enter the actual diameter into your tool database.

1 Like

That diameter depends on the depth, though, right? Is that something that I set, or just see what happens and adjust the width accordingly?

We’re talking about v bits, yes. How should I deal with that issue?

Thanks,
jg

Thanks for these settings. Is it actually 7 and 9 ipm? My default settings for materials are way slower than 70 ipm.

For acrylic, I’m worried that the single .01" pass won’t be enough - is it possible to do two passes?

Thanks,
jg

Sounds good - I’ll give it a shot!

Thanks,
jg

1 Like

Worked really well - thanks!

1 Like