Question for the devs

Generating tool paths / generating detail views.

Are these calculations done server side or client side?

I’m trying to figure out if the laptop i’m using easel on is crap, or if the design is too complex for the server side calculation.

I’m not a dev, but all of the toolpath operations are performed on the backend I do believe.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

If yu want to send me your file I will try it and see how it reacts on mine

@Ben-Saks all Easel calculations are server side right?

I believe they are all done client side via Javascript. (I think this because once you load easel, you should be able to put your system in airplane mode and still generate the toolpaths / use easel).

Fairly positive. So the computer you use will affect how fast the toolpaths are generated.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Actually, I completely forgot about the offline capability. So, I think you’re right.

I have always been under the impression that only the local driver for sending the gcode to the controller is “local.”

Once you have generated the gcode and it is downloaded from the server to your local machine, you do not need an internet connection because EaselLocal handles it from there.

That is how Easel has always been explained since I have been here.

Brandon Parker

This. Your browser does the work. No internet connection needed for toolpath generation.

Ok, I should have looked myself…

That seems like it is not always an optimal situation for a web-based design tool, in my opinion. Maybe they changed it at some point?

Brandon Parker

You’re right it’s not always optimal, but I can understand why. From a cost standpoint regarding cloud-computing costs, it’s far far cheaper to just pass the files over to the user and have the processing done client side, than to do that processing server side.

AFAIK, there aren’t any applications that do the toolpath generation server side as this would be a pretty heavy overhead cost.

1 Like