Questions and issues with spindle relay

So I am trying to get the relay to work that i made following the diagrams i found here. I have a couple of questions. The diagram below is how i have it wired, so when i plug the dewalt 611 in to the outlet that is switched the LEDs on the router will com on but very dim and when i test the outlet with the multi meter it it show about 2.5 volts (only with router plugged in). Now if I plug anything else in instead (I tried a light and a drill) it read nothing. The second issue is getting the x-controller to start it. I had it hooked to the ground and the PWM terminal. I know that the relay works I tested it with a drill battery but that was 12 volts, so I don’t know if it is not enough voltage or not. I really appreciate any help. Thanks

The hot wire is the only one that is. The power just goes through the first plug. I am just baffled why the router causes a voltage read but nothing else does. I can get the relay to work if I use a cordless drill battery.

So I have the hot wire coming of the hot side going to the relay then to the hot side of the outlet. The neutral comes from the side of the first plug to the neutral side of the switched outlet. Unless I am missing something which is possible.

I just realized I forgot to label them as outlets sorry. I have tried both terminals with no luck. I tried to set it up in easel but I might have missed something there. I chose the dewalt 611 and with the automatic start.

Easel, with the Xcontroller and the Dewalt selected,makes the PWM output be either 0V (off) or 5V (on). It does this by changing $30 to “1” and $31 to “0”.

The 0-10V is simply an amplified “copy” PWM output (the PWM from the Arduino is run through an OpAmp to double the gain) so it makes the output either 0V or 10V. That relay could handle both 5V and 10V so the output shouldn’t make a difference.

Looking at the Geree SSR-40 on Amazon, terminal 1 should be connected to your first outlet/source, terminal 2 should be connected to the Dewalt outlet. Terminal 3 should be connected to SPINDLE (PWM) on the Xcontroller and terminal 4 should be connected to a GND terminal on the Xcontroller. Assuming your square on your drawing is supposed to mimic the terminals (they aren’t numbered), it looks connected properly.

Have you tried using a different DC source to trigger the relay? You could use a battery and tape wires on each side and it should trip it.

The other option is in Easel, you can try manually turning on the SPINDLE output by going into Machine Inspector and type in “M3 S1” and then type “M5” to turn it off. If that works, then it’s something with the Gcode generation/Easel setting.

As Phil said though, if you can post your “$$” settings, it will show what values will trip the relay with a M3 command.

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=4 (dir port invert mask:00000100)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=115 (status report mask:01110011)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$30=1. (rpm max)
$31=0. (rpm min)
$100=39.456 (x, step/mm)
$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.976 (z, step/mm)
$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=790.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=790.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

Firmware Version: Grbl 1.0c

somehow only when the router is plugged in does there show a small amout of voltage

Voltage where? Across the terminals? At the outlet? Out of the Xcontroller?

If it’s out of the Xcontroller, verify that the ribbon cable between the main board and the power supply board is fully seated. the locking clips engage before the cable is fully seated.

There is voltage across the ac terminals on the relay but only when the router is plugged in to the outlet controlled by the relay. If I plug something else in like a drill or a light there is no voltage. I don’t know how it is getting voltage if the relay is not activated.