RC plane parts

has anyone tried Winfoil to design wing ribs

yeahhhhhh iā€™m talking to him now.it seems alot to pay for stuff,do u know of any free cad sites

Okie dokie,I am just going to have to suck it up and stay with my templates

Go to flitetest.com. They have many free plans that you can download. Take the plan into Inkscape to create the vendor save as sag open in easel. Takes a little time to do it but you have the plan forever. I just did one from rcpowers.com. I working on a vacuum table to hold the foam. Good luck

I googled airfoil tools and found a free plotter. It allows you to save as svg. I have tried it but it canā€™t hurt to give it a try

Awesome,ty much

hey Will do u know the design name of a sopwith wing rib.Airfoil has a bunch of designs but i have no flipping clue of what it would b called

anyone know what the airfoil on the sopwith pup and camel is called

Check out the RAF16 or RAF18 airfoil of WW1 biplanes.

where do i look for them,website wise

airfoil does not have either of those,oh boy

I can only suggest you google ā€œRAF16 airfoilā€ or ā€œSopwith Pup airfoilā€ of sorts.

iā€™ll try the raf 16 one,the pup one i couldnā€™t find

no luck,i found a flat bottom rib on airfoil.com that looks like the pup and camel

hey Angus,what do u mean.i am still new at building a model from scratch

i did some free hand stuff,i still canā€™t draw.lol

If you have a given airfoil (say RAF16 for instance) in scale 1:1 he mean it will behave differently if you scaled it down 10 times. Behaviour of an airfoil change with size.

For RC planes you dont need scale accuracy that much when it comes to wings, you choose one that provide the characteristics you want for the size of your build. A flat bottom wing is also easier to contruct/build straight than a 100% scale airfoil of WW1 planes.

It seems like you lack quite basic and fundamental knowledge in drawing/designing/construction. So if your intent is to make a CNC to make you an airplane you will have a very educational road ahead.

In the meantime I would advice you to buy a kit and enjoy that during the CNC build / aircraft design phase :slight_smile:

1 Like

iā€™m building a 1/3 scale pup right now.i was thinking do i even need a cnc to do any cutting.it seems to me i can cut out the parts faster using a jigsaw and circular saw.

Cool :slight_smile: In your previous posts you have shed no light on what you know, what you want to achieve nor your capabilities.

If all you want is to make 50 identical rib sections there are fast ways to achieve that with a scroll saw and simple tools. If you want to build a CNC it need to be something you want to do, regardless of the ā€œ50 wing ribsā€.

One quick way to make them could be this:

yeah i jump around alot,lol.iā€™ve built a kit years ago and i started this pup a bit ago.i made a template for the ribs and it works pretty good.i wanted the precision of a cnc.once i get it built iā€™m going to use easel.that seems to b the easiest program.iā€™m not a computer person either.