Recent TBDCNC Orders?

@ErikPiazza - would you mind sharing the sources that you found?

I would be interested in seeing the parts list as well.

Keep in mind that CNC4newbies was closed for a short while over the Holiday period and has been extremely busy supplying his excellent upgrade kit for the X-carve as well as his new machine. I have always found their service and products to be excellent. The same cannot be said for TBD.

1 Like

I have 1" risers and stiffners that can ship out tomorrow. Ill have 2" ready to go out first of next week. If you are interested, let me know. I can send more details upon request.

1 Like

CNC4newbies always reply fast when I use their messenger.
Before christmas, I ordered their risers Monday, they was here Thursday!!

1 Like

Definitely think Inventables is missing a major opportunity here. The entire entry level CNC segment is a bit stagnant - no major development in years. I mean the X-Carve was released something like 3 years ago, without any major upgrades after the X-Controller. Even Shapeoko is now offering a Z-Axis upgrade. And the price of the base machine has ballooned since my first SO - i got in to this hobby because SO was so inexpensive and met my (at the time) needs. Of course I’ve probably doubled or tripled the cost through upgrades, bits, etc since then :scream:

All that said, with the price of the drive drive and other upgrades, you can get a new OpenBuilds machine (e.g., Wookbee) with all the same features for the same price as upgrading and dealing with the non-standard configuration.

-Tom

1 Like

I have had my X-carve for 4 years and in that time the only major upgrade has been the one piece X rail, despite many suggestions for improvements made by users.

Other companies have moved forward with major improvements like screw drive and linear rails…all for a similar price to what you would pay for a new Xcarve.

If I was to be buying today, CNC4newbies would be getting my $$$

Interesting to note that this thread has been going for a week and TBDCNC has not responded in any way to defend their actions (or is that lack of action?)…speaks volumes.

I finally just disputed the charges on my CC. It’s been 6 weeks since I ordered and I’ve sent multiple attempts to get an update with no response. Very frustrating to have to do that.

As for the parts list, it’s basically a 20x80 extrusion, a set of linear block bearings and, slides a couple of end plates, and either an ACME lead screw or a ball screw. The end plates and spindle mount plate I’ll machine myself based on modifying files from OpenBuilds and everything else can be sourced from OpenBuilds, Amazon, etc. It’ll take some time to determine the exact stuff needed, but will ultimately end up being less expensive. Once I get it all sorted out, I’ll post a thread with the whole parts list and links to everything I use.

4 Likes

You cancel your order from TBDcnc?

I emailed TBDCNC to cancel my orders as well, but since they don’t respond to any other contact efforts, I’m assuming they’re not going to respond to that either, which is why I also reported it to my CC company.

2 Likes

I’m very interested in your design Bill. Where do you purchase the the material for this?
What did you make the main plate out of?
Also interested in all of the other upgrades you did to your X Carve.
Thanks
Russell

Hi Russell,

I got my 20x80 extrusion from Misumi. They have good pricing. I bought 3 pcs. of the 20x80x 200mm long for about $28 shipped. The linear rails I got from Amazon. A single 200mm rail with 2 carriages is about $26, the 15mm wide belt with pulleys came from ebay for $15.

I’ve used various materials for the Z axis plate. I made one from UHMW and a couple others from Corian. All have worked very well. I may do one from aluminum, but it’s so much easier to cut the other materials (and way less messy), and honestly, I don’t see where there would be any benefit.

My other upgrades include full linear rail & screw drive upgrade, and upgraded base (got rid of the 20x20 and replaced it with 20x40 for better flatness).

2 Likes

You design this Z for TBDcnc?

Hey Bill,
That’s great you’re stepping in! I’d be interested in the design files as well. I’ve seen your upgrades…that thing looks like a beast! Anything you’d change?
Is that the stock acme screw or did you use a ball screw?
Thanks

John, yes I did the design work for TBD. To qualify that statement, I did the basic functional design and Luke put his touch on the outer profiles of the plates (mostly for styling). It’s all based on my design, including the upgradable screw-drive system that can start out as screw-drive with v rollers, and be upgraded to linear bearings using the same side plates.

Thanks @NeilFerreri1, That is standard 8mm acme screws on my machine. Oh how I would love ball screws, but my want doesn’t justify my need for the work I do. That said, I do think I’ll play with the design to see what I can come up with. There’s not really anything I would have done differently on my size machine (650 x 500). But beyond a 750 size I would definitely upgrade from the 8mm screws, which seem a bit undersize at a 1000 length. I did the base upgrade just a couple weeks ago. After all the top-side upgrades, I felt the base could use some love. My steel plate had a very slight warp to it that the 20x20 just couldn’t pull out of it. The 2020 conformed to the steel rather than vice-versa. The 2040 really flattened things out though.

I only have limited immediate plans: to build a couple small belt-driven Z axis upgrades & sell them. I will provide my Z axis files gratis, but would like to offer my other machine plate CAD files & drawings in a package deal for like $15. I believe that will need to be done off-forum though. I do have a full set of plates that I will be selling. They are identical to what’s on my machine now, less the powder-coat treatment and 2nd row of lower mounting holes. Right now they’re painted a nasty blue color that did not finish smoothly. Was saving them for a friend, but he won’t be needing them. Functionally they are identical, made from the same high-strength 3mm steel.

Apparently my business arrangement with TBD is no longer in play, so I have no reason to not find other venues to cash-in on my design work. I am also talking with a friend of mine who is a brilliant and accomplished Purdue engineering grad. Between us, I think we will figure something out. Other than doing maybe 2 or 3 Z axis units, I don’t see myself becoming a player in that specific realm, as cnc4newbie & TBD seem to be the “go-to” sources for that.

1 Like

Thanks! Do you have a 3D model by any chance?
If you give a mouse a cookie…
Sorry, I have young children.

I wish they had other options besides TBDCNC and CNC4Newbies, I would have upgraded already. But when neither one returns your email and you read negative feedback on facebook and this forum you tend to not want to do business with them. So I have moved on and now I’m looking elsewhere. You did an awesome job on your machine. I see an Openbuild sticker on your mount, would the X-Controller and steppers work on an Openbuild machine? Or would I do better to go a different route?
Thanks for your help
Russell

Thanks Russell,

Yes, the X-controller should work fine on an Openbuilds machine. It’s just a matter of setting the adjustments to whatever drive you end up with for proper calibration. I’ve never been a fan of GRBL, only because it’s ‘new’ and I’m more old-school.
I use (and LOVE) my DDCSV3.1 controller. I won’t offer anything for sale unless I have it in-hand and available for immediate ship-out. That said, I do have all parts en-route for a couple Z’s. Just got my plate bearings yesterday and my linear rails today. There will be a slight delay on my 15mm belts & pulleys due to Chinese Spring Celebration (something like that).

1 Like

Yup. Really the only thing you need to check is the motor current. The hardware is just hardware. (slightly simplified)

@BillBlades Thanks again. I just reread your post…I didn’t realize everything else was “off the shelf”. Nice, simple design. :+1:

1 Like