(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

Wasn’t going there.

“Hocking” a product would be akin to taking it to the pawn shop to use it as collateral for a loan, He needs to get the thing made first before he can do that. :point_right: (poke, poke):point_left:

But, when it comes time for him to start "hawking’ his product, the for sale section would be the most proper place assuming that he meets all the guidelines (?) of the forum. I for one would like to see more details when and if he gets closer to a finished product as well as a final price point.

3 Likes

1 Like

This was version one. Failed badly in alignment.

i think I would be interested at the right price.

What is the right price?

I think that selling should wait till you have a working prototype.
I am interested in this but I would have to see what the design looks like and tests results before even considering it.

1 Like

I agree!

It is.
8mm.
However it’s doing well in testing. Also the machine itself is inherently not that rigid so y spend extra on acme that won’t help.

Hum. 8mm diameter for 1000mm. Not sure I’d go for that.

Seems to be doing well right now… im hoping to run some quick mdf tests on the latest batch of files and see the fit…
I have it on good authority there is only one last correction to be made! (Thanks Mr. Anonymous!)

1 Like

I agree. Go larger and work it into the price.

I would be less inclined to buy a kit with 8mm screws but would happily pay the extra for more.

2 Likes

keep in mind there is more to screws than screws…
needs bearings collars and couplers and that changes price as well.
then there is the restriction on the machine itself with fitting into where it needs to go.
8mm i felt was a good fit in all ways from stiffness to fitting to price.

and all the forces are inline with the screw so there should be no need for anything like lager diameter screws.
like putting monster truck tires on a smart car… really cool but useless and not used to full potential.[quote="JDM, post:41,

1 Like

The reason for thicker screws is whipping. If you spin a low-diameter screw fast enough without a central support, you make a jump-rope - any imbalance in the screw is amplified, and it’ll bang and jump and generally wreak havoc. Higher pitch or multi-start screws help this somewhat because they don’t need to turn as fast, and this looks like a multi-start screw. You should still see how fast you can spin it before it starts to whip, and make sure that no user would ever want to run it at more than, say, 80% of that speed.

2 Likes

I was trying to be good and not pointing this out :smiley: Hocking was also late '60’s - early '70’s slang for stealing.

"“Hocking” a product would be akin to taking it to the pawn shop to use it as collateral for a loan, He needs to get the thing made first before he can do that. :point_right: (poke, poke):point_left:

But, when it comes time for him to start “hawking’ his product, the for sale section would be the most proper place assuming that he meets all the guidelines (?) of the forum. I for one would like to see more details when and if he gets closer to a finished product as well as a final price point.”

1 Like

This is a 4 start and there is bearings on either end and there is a nut in middle…
im gonna put together a quick example build from mdf for all to see… fingers crossed it pans out.

2 Likes

similar to what i posted in the for sale section…

2 Likes

I have a 1000mm machine with 8mm screws, although it isn’t an xcarve the setup is almost identical to what you are creating here. I have had no problems with it.

2 Likes

Thanks bill… my thoughts exactly…

2 Likes