(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

I think some people need to read this:

Belts introduce stretch, but I consider them safer as they are a fail point. If things go south, they will be the first to either skip teeth or break altogether. A leadscrew going awry might get sketchy…

1 Like

Not true.
while programming the grbl i found that i forgot to rewire the mototrs since they were still flipped from belts and the motors strained and twisted the gantry a little then buzzed and stopped… i checked the nuts thinking they got stripped but no there was no damage at all. good thing im using 8 vwheels on each side and 1/4 inch aluminum!!!

Excellent article!
ENJOYED THE READ
It also reinforced my preconceived notion of anti backlash nuts. Whats it called? Confirmation bias? LOL!

Means that i am set to 1/2 stepping not even 1/4 or 1/8. and a 2 inch circle cut at 150ipm measures at 1.985+/-.
I may up my stepping if people say i should.

Both. and not in a measurable way… but i will be remeasuring more thoroughly.

Yes. with motors powered down i bring gantry all the way forward and seat the gantry plates flush against the Y end plates.

No. They move at exactly the same speed. And when cutting squares it actually cuts square, I measured with a square.
With belts almost never square enough for me. And circles are round.

That only happened when I did not clamp coupler tight enough to the acme rod.
If there was a mismatch i don’t believe squares would be square.

If anyone is confused i have 2 accounts and one is on mobile and one on my pc. i never know cuz it logs in automatically.

1 Like

That’s what I meant to say. Was rushing out to work this morn.
Thanks @PhilJohnson :grin:

Running fabulous.
Zero backlash.

5 Likes

You’re below your indicator’s accuracy (0.001") which is as good as it gets. Well done!

3 Likes

Next carve will be aluminum to round off testings before upgrading the z tomorrow.

@Phantomm Looking good… on a side note… I think you mentioned wanting to mill aluminum a lot. with that, I would suggest you really look into getting a watercooled spindle for yourself at some point.

Why water cooled?

1. much quieter than a router.
  2. you have a lot of flexibility with speed. I have heard of people dialing down their watercooled ones to 100rpm just to see it go that slow (not actually cut with it that slow). Slower speed is going to help you with cutting and saving your bits.

Doesn’t seem to make much difference in the position, but there is quite a bit of flex in the drive rod.

https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/b/2/b2a7db1082852755fabb83605a23beded3b4c261.MOV

1 Like

Mine is bent but my accuracy is still unmeasurable with my .0005 indicator

When I’m done with this carve.

What exactly do you want to see?
And what camera angle would you like?

1 Like

Posted an edit in previous post with link
Let me know what u think.

1 Like

What kind of speeds are you able to get with the new setup?

Well I actually slowed mine down for noise reasons(the screw acoustics can be vicious if it has a slight bend like mine had.
It can go the full speed but others here recommended not to since it can cause extra wear. I also slowed down the acceleration a bit since it is so stiff the machine can nearly throw itself off the table.
I will post a list of all the grbl settings I used that was really good for me.

1 Like