(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

Not that I’m aware of. But it’s fairly simple to work the other way around.

• Decide on the max rapids you wish to achieve.
  • Divide with the screw lead to find the max RPM.
  • Divide with 0.8 to find the critical speed.
  • Solve the equation for L.

You could even make a spreadsheet out of it if you want to experiment with several scenarios.

For rough estimates the diagrams work fine too (look earlier in this thread).

How are the people who bought the first batch of kits getting on? eager to see how its gone and the improvements it made to the machines and your workflow, repeat-ability and speed.

Hey @SeanNaylor. Did you adjust your x axis to screw spacing correctly? Or is it just the photo parallax?

Curious, what adjustments would there be to adjust screw to x-axis ? I figure it was predetermined in bolt placement

I designed in some play for the x rail placement. That way if there is something different or slightly off with the build it won’t hamper the install. Just lift the x into alignment and check level to wasteboard.

Screws working great, but you have different problem with your X Axis I think. It’s not rigid enough.
Besides my belt driving machine goes .1 depth pass and 100 feedrate easily on oak.
Consider working on it. This demo makes your effort looking bad.

He did say he’d “Played conservative tonight” as a first run on a new set up this seems sensible. I’m sure once everything has proven to be running ok the speed can be increased.

I was getting a similar issue to this play and movement in the cut, it was down to the set screws on the Stepper motor coupling. That might be worth checking

Alex.

2 Likes

Can you post a pic of the edge of the letter? Wanna see the step over.

Looks clean. I would like to see the edge to see how tightly you got the steps tuned.

1 Like

This looks GREAT. I do have two questions about the Lead screw upgrade kit. Maybe I missed them but I do not think so.

1. how does it work with the old (original) Arduino setup. I do not have the upgraded power box.
  2. Will this kit work with the stiffened X Axis (metal between the rail) or do you need the newer stiffened rail from Investables for this kit to work. If I have to upgrade anything else then add this kit, it get into the Expensive range. I feel the price for the kit is worth it but adding another $300 - $400 would make it out of my range. Thanks you for your info.

Looks good. any idea what the issue along the curves is caused by, i saw you had a upgraded z axis so i wouldnt think deflection.

Check the g code.

1 Like

Yes and yes

Too smooth to be the bit. Prob gcode. Blow up the Svg/file and look close.

Yes could be, where was the letter generated.

Watching the video, the router had decisive movements at those areas

Just check your file for extra bits.

If it was done using a trace, that could be your problem. You can use the built in letters or use a program like illustrator and convert to outlines and export and svg

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply. Keep up the good work. Lots of opinions out there but they have not built it or tested it . SOME opinions are like Butt Holes … Do not get mad at some of the questions, all mean well and just want to see you succeed with this. I do not think ANYONE is trying to Bash you in any way, just trying to keep you on track and looking to have an outstanding product. Keep it up. Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks. Lots of work went into it.

Awesome. If it was backlash from your setup I woulda been floored.