Request for Feature on Final Page - Make another pass Z depth

On the screen that asks if everything went well I would love to see a 3rd option. Please make another pass at Z depth.

I think at this point weve all had to sand out a cut and being 100% level and getting the perfect cut depth doesnt always happen. Calipers can be off because maybe you didnt zero them out or they arent 100% accurate, you measured against a thinner part of wood, you measure just a touch shy, wasteboard is not 100% level and has a tiny dip, etc etc etc. There needs to be a way of running another depth cut without running through the entire cut.

Humans happen and we make mistakes please I beg you Easel gods please add this feature. If its a sacrifice you want Ive sanded the tips of a few of my fingers.

Thankyou.

1 Like

YES. Without having to completely retrace ALL the previous depths just to get to the ‘clean up’ final pass. It would be VERY NICE to be able to do just the last pass without having to wait for the machine to do it all over again.

That said, I wish they’d get rid of that annoying ‘did it turn out ok?’ window entirely. Because, who doesn’t hate the annoying pop-ups that frequent our web browsing already. You have to close that window, then click ‘Carve’ just to be able to move your spindle out of the way. Just poor design.

To do that, a new toolpath would have to be generated. Probably just as easy to set your DOC to max depth and run it.

2 Likes

That is what I do. Sometimes I even adjust the cut depth .005 deeper and set doc at full depth, use last home It will only take one pass that way and it doesn’t take long

Doh! Never thought of doing it that way. Thanks for the tip!

I love it and it will work for most cuts but if parts of the print are not meant to be cut to full depth then you have to remove them before cutting. With cutting the last depth pass you get all the parts that are supposed to be cut through.

I think what you’re asking is a pretty complex task probably not worth the man-hours. Again, gcode would have to be regenerated, but now with only cuts that go through the material.
I think your options would be to isolate your operations (pockets and profiles) into separate workpieces/toolpaths, or perform a setup where cutting a little bit more isn’t necessary.
Have you surfaced your wasteboard? If so, use the wasteboard as your index instead of the stock surface.

If you’re just doing a text v-bit or other design carve where the bit doesn’t go all the way through, this is great!!

I dont believe it would be that hard. For instance I can look at every layer path on my 3d Printer down to the last one. So all it needs to do is run the last carve path at an additional depth. Or generate the cutting path in reverse and add the additional depth stop at the first depth decrease.

I didnt even think about V-Bits which could also be interesting because I have experimented with depth and filling the depth cuts with paint then sanding and finishing the top surfaces with another. Could actually lead to some new tricks.

Simplify3D has a lot more experience under its belt than Easel, but it doesn’t do what you’re saying either. What I’m saying is that there are a lot of things to consider when creating a feature that would only exist to fix human errors in setup. Just because you can see that last layer in your 3d printer code does not mean it is trivial to program in a button that finds it, sets all of the correct parameters, a executes new code that has to be generated. Running in reverse on a router should not be done without understanding the potential consequences. Running Gcode backwards could create a lot of issues. Think of all the G1 and G0 calls in reverse.

Im thinking tool path generation not by actually running in reverse but reverse calculating the tool path. So if you calculate the reverse tool path till the first up step you can invert that portion to get a tool path to make the last path again. Last depth + 1.

But there is possibly an easy way If you set a flag at the point of the Z drop you already capture the path of the last cut path as everything past that point. You could replay it with last depth + 1. For instance on every Z drop you put in a G Code that means nothing its technically a flag/market and at the end of the print if you didnt cut all the way through and need to make another pass you look at your GCode marker and replay the G code from that point on with depth + 1. You could replay it as many times as you need.