[request for feedback] Gcode sending through easel

Has this gone any further.

Reading the thread here is what I see as a problem.

If I use a CAM program to generate operations that I want to have done to make a part on a CNC machine. That CAM program needs a post processor that knows what Gcode is supported by GRBL.
So say I use CamBam for my CAM program. When I go to post my Gcode I need to be able to select a post processor that is X-Carve specific. The generated Gcode can then be loaded into Easel and should not need any changes to run on GRBL
You do not want to be second guessing what I want done to my part.

Inventables needs to work with the CAM programers to get post processors that are for X-Carve.

Dave

Hi @DavidSohlstrom that is what we are working on. We have started discussions with a few of the CAM vendors. The conversations have been encouraging. They are starting to recognize the Inventables community as a real segment in the market.

It’s a little bit harder than we expected. Lots of little details.

We have a phased project to simplify it. I’m hopeful that we will have some announcements soon but we don’t have anything official to report at this time.

Zach

There being CAM software that is from free to several thousand dollars and no one does it the same way it can be a real pain getting a Post that works with XC in a standard configuration.
You know that I have been using CNC for lots of years and use control software that will not run on a standard machine.
Your machines and software are a very good starting point for the beginner to CNC.

Dave

Yea that is part of what we are working on. In the event that “something goes wrong” how does Easel help you out.

We are trying to make the experience better than the way a traditional “sender” would just pass things along.

1 Like

Zach

I’m not sure that is possible. Even LinuxCNC and Mach3 will not correct Gcode. As long as there are no unsupported codes in the file, the file will run. If the person made a mistake in his or her operations there is no way for the control software to correct that. Don’t ask how I know this :smile:
The other issue is as you well know Gcode can be several thousand lines long and finding and correcting a problem is next to impossible using an editor.

I think the best you can hope for is to have Easel check the code for unsupported code and flag it for the operator to go back and correct it in there CAM program. Getting post processors for the various CAM programs that only post correct code is the fun part.

Dave

G-code Generation
V-PhotoCarve, HyperMill AMD (Acad 2005)

G-code Editing
Simple text editor, usually some change in the first row

Homing
Yes

Spindle
Yes. I use a big Mill machine in my workplace with Mach3. The machine turns on and off the spindle so it is written in the nc file

I’ve been trying to get long gcode files to run, but continue to have problems through UGS and Chilipeppr. So I’d definitely welcome Easel running gcode files, as I’ve had no problem with that software.

G-code verification: Yes
G-code Generation: Vectric photoVcarve and Vectric Vcarve Desktop
G-code editing: No, I don’t think so
Homing: Nice but not crucial
Spindle: Nice but not crucial

Just finished building my X-Carve for classroom use and am impressed so far. What I would like is a simple control software that will allow students to hand write code using standard G&M code parameters and run it on the X-Carve. I obviously don’t have them do this much but as an into to CNC I have them make a name plate by writing the code by hand (usually 25-40 lines of code) so they can better understand what CAM software exports if they have to ever troubleshoot it in the future. My current workflow is to write it in Notepad and then open that document it to the control software for the Pro-Light mills I have, but I would really like to allow them to create larger projects on the X-Carve rather than the little work space that is allowed on a Pro-Light.

Thank you in advance and I am very excited to begin implementing the X-Carve in my CNC and CAD classes.

-Brandon

We’ve started testing this feature! Check out the announcement and details here: [NOW LIVE] [new feature] G-code sending through easel

2 Likes