[Resolved] Computer does not see Arduino

I am using a HP 2000 Notebook PC running Windows 10. I have downloaded an installed the Arduino software. When I plug the Arduino into the laptop it does not see it. The power is on and the blue light is on. Any suggestions?

You mean when you go to Device Manager, and there is no Arduino on Com xx, is that correct?

That is correct!

Is that blue led coming on and off when you plug and unplug?

No, the blue light stays on

Did you try another USB port on your Laptop.?

I have tried all the ports on my laptop and the only other thing I have is a tablet. I put the USB adapter on the tablet and tried it. I am wondering if I need to re-flash, but I don’t know if that would work since the Arduino is not showing up in the Com.

This is not your Arduino problem. Something wrong with your Tablet. You may want to try plugging anything like Printer… Other than Arduino to see if your tablet reads. Personally I don’t recommend any portable devices, I switched to Desktop PC

I have also tried a different cord. One off my printer that I know works.

I know my laptop works with my printer on the USB

AlanDavis I do appreciate your time and suggestions. This is very frustrating.

One last thing, So many people including myself, using External Powered USB hub for similar port issues. Maybe your Tablet has not enough power to handle. They’re selling for $10~12 on Amazon. Even I have Top of the line Desktop PC, I start seen symptoms for loosing connectivity and purchased one. Just a suggestion.

It’s worth a try and that is not very much money especially if it works. I’ll order one now. Thanks

1 Like

I would try this:

Unplug the Arduino, then uninstall the the Arduino software. Then restart. Plug in the arduino. The computer should recognize it and install the appropriate drivers.

I’ll give it a try. Thanks

Make sure Windows 10 is fully up to date first. Initial Arduino drivers were problematic and have been fixed by subsequent updates. I turned updates off on my tablet because they quickly consumed all of my disk space. There is no way to shunt update files to an SD card yet so this is problematic. If you still have plenty of disk space, make sure your version of Windows 10 is fully up to date before trying this procedure (of course, you could always to it again AFTER updating).

Check to see if there are any unknown items in Device Manager. If there are then you can update the driver and point it to the arduino driver. If there are no unknowns then try and find what is being assigned to the arduino. You can do this by plugging in the arduino while looking at Device Manager to see what has been added. If nothing then you have a different problem ei. the arduino or your computer.
I had a similar issue where my real arduino was being assigned to a different com chipset from a not real arduino. I had to update the driver on the bad device to the arduino.

Everything is up to date. Tried it again still didn’t work. Uninstalled and re-installed and it still didn’t work. Thanks for the input.

No unknowns. when I plug and unplug the Arduino the task manager does not change. The computer recognizes everything else I plug into it.

That is a drag. Here are the serial port troubleshooting suggestions. (First try to hook that arduino to another machine to make sure it at least recognizes it is there - to rule out a bad Arduino):

On Windows, if the software is slow to start or crashes on launch, or the Tools menu is slow to open, you may need to disable Bluetooth serial ports or other networked COM ports in the Device Manager. The Arduino software scans all the serial (COM) ports on your computer when it starts and when you open the Tools menu, and these networked ports can sometimes cause large delays or crashes.
Check that you’re not running any programs that scan all serial ports, like USB Cellular Wifi Dongle software (e.g. from Sprint or Verizon), PDA sync applications, Bluetooth-USB drivers (e.g. BlueSoleil), virtual daemon tools, etc.
Make sure you don’t have firewall software that blocks access to the serial port (e.g. ZoneAlarm).
You may need to quit Processing, PD, vvvv, etc. if you’re using them to read data over the USB or serial connection to the Arduino board.
On Linux, you might try running the Arduino software as root, at least temporarily to see if fixes the upload.