[Resolved] Varying (decreasing) step interval on Z-axis during a carve

I’m trying to carve a 1.6" diameter hole in 1/8"-thick ABS plastic using a 1/8" bit. Since I have many of these to carve I’m stacking 4 sheets of ABS and carving them all at once. To protect my work surface, I’m placing the 4 stacked sheets on top of a piece of cardboard. In Easel I tell X-carve that the material is 1/2" thick (actually it’s slightly less using a caliper to measure) and have the step interval set to 0.1". I set the home position very carefully for X, Y and Z. and start the carve. Things go well, but the hole is not carved in all 4 stacked sheets of ABS. The X-carve stops before going deep enough. I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting questions and checked the X-carve’s step interval with a digital depth gauge. As I watch the carve, the belt loop on top controlling the ACME lead screw seems to travel a little less distance during each circular path carving the hole. It looks like for each carving pass for the hole the bit is going down a shorter distance. I’m really stuck on this one. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Dave

Hey David, sorry you’re having issues. You said you went through the troubleshooting questions, would you please take a look at them again and just make sure you tested all of them?

http://easel.inventables.com/problem_symptoms/3

Also are you using Easel or some other software to generate/send gcode? Please let me know if the above solutions don’t work.

Solution: I went back and edited my carve in Easel and found I had failed to reset the depth when I went from cutting one at a time to 4 at a time. So…user error!

Glad that got sorted out!