Rhino and RhinoCAM with the X-Carve?

Thanks, AllenMassey. :smile:

I asked them that, and this is their response…

If the g-code your machine reads is similar to the sample provided on the following link: G Code Examples · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub that shows a sample code for a circle, RhinoCAM can output a similar code.

1 Like

Maybe ask them if they have a Shapeokeo 2 post-processor. It should work fine.

On Novedge’s web site (seller of Rhino and RhinoCAM), I found this list of Post Processors… look under the Specs section.

http://www.novedge.com/products/1631/tab/1

Do any of those PP look like they’d work?

I recently got the XCarve and I’m working setting it up. I’ve had RhinoCam for some time and it makes sense that I use it for generating the g code. But I’m trying to figure out which post processor to use as well. Have you figured it out yet?

I just got my X-carve setup and have only tested it shortly with Easel.
I installed Universal G-code Sender, but couldn’t get it to jog my machine… it says it’s connected, but I can’t manually move my machine using UGS.
If you contact MecSoft, they should be able to provide you with a post processor… ask for Uday. :smile:

I called them and talked to them. I’m using Freemill. They said it can’t be added to freemill and I’d have to purchase the product to get the post processor. :confused: stinks. I guess I’ll try use the gerber and see how it goes.

Ahh… yes. Paid version feature, for sure.
I purchased both RhinoCAM and RhinoCAM-Art… I hope to be making lots with my X-Carve… mostly with the Art package.

i can confirm that rhinocam does work with the xcarve. i am using the mach3 post processor. Both inch and mm work fine so far with no modifications. I am using ugcs to send it to the machine.

I really wish I could afford RhinoCam. It is #1 on my wishlist.

Hey, Cory, could you tell me what is the final post processor that you are using with your X-carve and RhinoCam? I’m in a similar situation and planning to try the Shapeoko or Meshcam 3 pp.

I bought the full version of Rhino and RhinoCAM (and RhinoCAM-Art).
With the full version, they will provide you with the post processor… but the licensed version of MecSoft’s software is required.

i’m just using mach3 inch post processor with no issue sending via ugcs.

Neat! :slight_smile:
That’s good information for makers using FreeMill.

What is the name of the correct post processor within rhino?
I have been using the mach3-mm post too with success, but in very specific complex 3D milling operations it does not behave as wanted. Do you have experience with 3D milling?

not yet. so far have only been doing 2d

I have been playing with freemill and I don’t think there is anyway to set depth per pass with it. I’ve looked everywhere for it.

just a heads up, rhinocam has a xcarve post processor now. I have tested with UGCS doing 2.5 axis (no 3d cutting yet) and it works just fine. I will create a simple test to try its 3d capabilities soon.

I haven’t tried it on the machine yet, but just threw some 3axis code at UGCS and it looks like it should work fine. Soon I will throw a ball mill on the machine and test it out.

1 Like

Very late reply,
But how does it work with 3D milling now? :smiley:

I switched to fusion, but it should work for the most part. Only one way to know :wink: