Rhino + RhinoCAM: What post-processor?

i don’t really understand your question, but here’s the option in rhinocam:

Yes I see that option. But what I mean is: Mach3 have a lot of setting that can be made. I have simply dowloaded the first working copy to give it a try (willing to buy a genuine copy if work), but, I haven’t setted anything on the program.

How the program could know what machine is he operating on?

if you mean you downloaded the mach3 software, then i can tell you you don’t need it. Just select this post processor in Rhinocam. It will export a .nc file, which you can send to your machine using one of the freeware apps mentioned a few posts above. You don’t need the mach3 software for this, even though the post processor you’ll use mach3. Any gcode sender will do.

Ok so let’s make an example:

I draw a square on Rhino. Then with RhinoCAM I select Mach3MM in POST settings, make all the other stuff, generate the toolpaths, simulate it and export a .nc file. I have the file on my desktop.

Assume that I have your free UGCS (Zapmaker). I open the program. Now, what I have to do?

just open the NC file from the gcode sender and hit send/start/whatever

this is provided you have successfully connected the app to your cnc
i don’t have an Xcarve, so i cannot help you trough those steps, but I am sure someone else will chip in or point you to a guide.

So no Easel involved? The program will automatically detect my machine?

P.s. Don’t worry, your help is like gold for me!

P.p.s. I can’t download the program you use, the page seems “forbidden”

yeah the files must be down atm…

here you go:

version 3.5.1 is certainly available, i checked.

to get this software to recognize the arduino controller, you can follow the instructions on these pages:

Also here is a guide specifically for UGCS, maybe start following this one so you understand what is going on, and then trying other alternatives once you are comfortable how it all works:
http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/software.html

Finally: the Arduino installation steps (ONLY PERFORM STEP 1-4!)

what you basically do is install the drivers, which will allocate a port to your connection. You need to
check and remember the port number and then when opening the gcode sender software, just choose the correct portnumber from the dropdown menu, set baudrate to 9600 and you should be set. try jogging the axis to see whether it worksand to doublecheck ifyou wired everything correctly. Whenjogging the Z axis, make sure you have it jog in small steps so you don’t push your router into your wasteboard

Set the baud rate to 115200.

hmm mine is set at 9600 i think…
i thought 115200 is used to flash the arduino

9600 baud rate has not been used since grbl v8.

IMPORTANT INFO WHEN UPGRADING TO GRBL v0.9
Baudrate is now 115200 (Up from 9600).

I need to update my G-Shield?

The download link still don’t work :frowning:

And I made all those steps, except for the motor current calibration.

ah that makes sense since i still use v8 :innocent:

version 3.5.1 is certainly available, i checked.

but i suggest you download UGCS first and follow these steps:
http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/software.html

sorry man you need to take some time and try it for yourself, we laid it all out and that really is as far as we can go :smile_cat:

1 Like

Hi @anon68752607

Just tried both the program you suggested and grbl controller is a little bit slow. Better results I had with UGCS but I still have to learn how to use it. But I guess it works :slight_smile:

whatever works best for your workflow

enjoy your machine

Now the Z-Axis seems to receive inverted commands :weary:

then you have a wire wrong :innocent:

you can edit this in software in the grbl settings with a 8-bit mask too.

but I’m not too experienced in this, maybe someone can explain what you need to change

Luckily it was just a red cable into the terminal block of the contro unit. Damn vibration

I haven’t tested it yet, but they just released a PP for the X Carve

http://mecsoft.com/PostProcessors/MILL/X-Carve%20GRBL.spm

hope this means no more work arounds and fully functional 3d carving.