Rocket parts - A small project

Hi All,

One of my (many) hobbies is model rocketry. Here in the UK, most kits are imported but fairly cheap. This however means that spare parts for the cheaper kits are just about impossible to get.

So on a bad landing, you might snap off a fin and the rocket is then unusable until you either source a new one, or more likely, buy a whole new kit to replace one part. Not a great state of affairs. And it’s always the flat parts that usually break, the tubes not so much so and they are easy to source anyway.

A bad landing, not my video:

Of course, if you build a whole kit from scratch, things get easier, but then you really do have to do rocket science to ensure it’ll be stable and safe, with lots of messing about ensuring your centre of gravity is in the right place with regards to centre of thrust etc. No one really wants that, they just want to go and do launches.

So, from now on, when I receive a new kit (I do three or four a year) I’ll “capture” the flat parts shapes and dimensions and add them to an Easel project. This way, if I do bust a fin or crack an engine mount, I can fire up the X-Carve, drop on a 1/8" or 1/4" sheet of ply, remove the parts I don’t need from the project and cut out the part I do need. Should keep me up and running and also mean I no longer need to carry spares if and when I can get them.

On that note, I received a new kit this morning, a North Coast Rocketry SA-14 Archer kit. Before getting carried away building it, I’ll measure up the parts and create the project.

Some of the parts have accurate 90 degree inside corners, so it’ll either require a detail pass with a fine bit (my preferred method) or just a tidy of rounded inside corners with a small razor saw and sanding (my usual method).

Here are the parts I need to make for “inventory”, just one of each, and make extras if and when I need them:

The kit:

More later.

Cheers

Ian

3 Likes

Hi, Ian.

I’m a rocket enthusiast here in the US. Great idea for capturing the parts before putting the kit together.

My main interest is in propellants. A friend and I set up a static motor test stand to evaluate different propellant formulas. So far, we have fired off almost 900 H engines testing various propellant formulas. Literally a blast! :smiley:

Good luck with your project.

Larry

1 Like

Thanks Larry.

You’ll understand then. :smile:

Mixing prop? That must be satisfying, well, when it gives you the results you need. Must admit I’m a sucker for a test/certification video, e.g. The Cesaroni ones on YouTube.

Cheers

Ian

Hi All,

Finally got around to finishing this little project off.

I initially scanned the flat parts using a flat bed scanner and then opened in Inkscape then traced to vectors. A little tweaking of the SVGs later and I had parts that are exactly the same size as the originals.

So if the worst comes to the worst I can simply carve off some more parts for repairs. :smile:

Hope to get to do the maiden flight(s) in the next few weeks running a Cesaroni Pro29 2 grain motor which should be good for around 1600ft altitude.

Scans of parts:

Finished build all ready to go:

Cheers

Ian

3 Likes

Really nice job. Great finish.

1 Like