Rough cut work moves over to detail when a detail bit is added

Hi,
I have optimized my work to utilize a rough pass using 1/8" bit which simulates beautifully but when I add the detail bit for the remaining fine detail Easel moves most of the rough pass over to the detail pass and my detail bit cant handle it. I must be doing something wrong?

Please help as I am at a work stoppage.
Jim

1 Like

Hi Jim, you may need to split the design into multiple workpieces to had better control of what bit is used where.
For Example I use multiple “workpieces” (the bottom panel in Easel) to control which bit is used where in this flag carve, using the vbit for the stars only…

When 2 bits are used Easel only uses the roughing bit for pocket cuts to remove the bulk of the material, all other cut types and the area that the rough bit cannot reach is reserved for the detail bit.

Thank you for the reply Seth. I understand when 2 bits are used the roughing bit is supposed to remove the bulk and it does a great job of this when I simulate just a roughing bit. The issue is when I add the detail bit most of the roughing cuts disappear from the roughing G-code and move over to the detail side resulting in failures because the 1mm detail bit can’t remove pockets of bulk material like a 1/8" bit can.

I will definitely check into workpieces as a work around but hope Easel is aware of this and is working on a proper solution. Thank you for taking the time to let me know about using workpieces.

If you’d like I might be able to provide some more insight for your particular project if you can set it up with your 2 bits and then share the project via the share link process.

In Easel go to Project>Share and set it to “unlisted” then copy the link shown there and paste it over here. (Or DM it to me if you don’t want it public)

I believe much of my challenge is the spacing in my image is a little wider than 1/8" and the detail bit has to basically go over all rough work again. I tweaked the original image and this has improved things a bit.

Would you know of any software that I can design a 2 dimensional image with straight cuts the exact width of the bit (1/8" for example)?

I will also see if I can send you a project for a quick review but want to be very respectful of your time thank you

1 Like

Feel free to post it here if you’re okay with everybody having access to it, OR you can DM me if you like. I’ll tell ya if I’m super busy but usually I can squeeze in at least a quick review of any project. (about to start a new 9-5 pretty soon after takin a few years to really enjoy the little kids and not having a “real job” so my “free time” will be cut short in the next couple weeks :smiley: ) In order to do the path in a single pass the design would need to be setup as a single line and the cut type set to “cut on shape path” which will cause whichever bit you’ve selected to cut a single groove along that line rather than multiple passes. BUT IF your design is currently 2 lines next to each other that would need to be changed to the single line running down the middle between those 2, which might be accomplished using the offset tool, depending on your design.

1 Like

Hi Seth I ran with your advice around workpieces and got it figured out. workpieces allowed me to run the rough job in the first one then upload an edited SVG that only has the detail work and all the areas I don’t want touched are blanked out. works like a charm.

There is still plenty of G-code that does almost nothing and takes a lot of time so I think my next task will be to learn how to edit and optimize G-code. Do you edit G-Code or have any apps or advice?

Thanks again for your advice.
Jim

1 Like

personally I find that in most cases it’s more time efficient to just run easel’s toolpath even if it’s not optimal than the time it would take to manually adjust it.

OR use a different software that does calculate more efficient toolpaths however most of those other softwares have higher computer spec requirements and sometimes cost more upfront than Easel Pro does… Vcarve Pro, Carveco, Fusion360 are the top 3 that come to mind.

another option that I implement on my machines is testing higher settings for the Max feed rate and max plunge rates, this helps reduce the actual time spent on those unnecessary transition moves that Easel includes, making them not so much of a time suck. . .

using this same procedure but using Easel’s Machine Inspector instead of the Candle software shown in the video, you can do this same sort of test and adjust the settings for an even faster max feed rate. . . to get to the Machine Inspector Page press Ctrl+Shift+D from within Easel and it’ll open the page.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.