Router Table

Hi, I’ve been away for a while moving house which meant the X-Carve was packed up but now it’s back up and running and working hard on parts for my new workshop. Item number one is a router table.

I have supply of 5mm thick high impact polyethylene board normally used for outdoor signs so it’s quite tough and a good substitute for formica which is not readily available on the island (Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK). I tried exterior plywood first but couldn’t find a piece without a slight bow in it so reluctantly settled for 18mm MDF, using contact adhesive to secure the polyethylene top.

The great thing about the X-Carve is the ability to mill shapes that would otherwise be complex and time-consuming using conventional tools (the Kreg insert plate can be very tricky if your’re not experienced with a plunge router), so here are the initial results:

I’m now working on the router table fence and planning a twist on conventional design by using linear bearings and 8mm stainless steel rods to keep it smooth and even during adjustment.

6 Likes