Running Chilliepeppr on a Mac [Resolved]

Is anyone running Chillipeppr on a Mac?

I set up a PC partition to run VCarve and I quite like it. The problem however is that unless I can master the technology and deal with the post processor stuff there is no point in buying it.

I have given up trying to install USG on the PC partition in the Mac. I tried to install ChilliP on the PC partition also but failed miserably. I appreciate that this is because having used Macs for the last 30+ years I do not understand the architecture of the way applications run and the limited notes that are available assume a level of knowledge that I do not have.

I noticed however that there was reference on the Chillipeppr stuff to running on a Mac so I thought that I would revert to a computer system I thought I was familiar with (and port the out put from VCarve on a memory stick).

Unfortunately nothing to do with this CNC stuff is simple.
I have opened Chillipeppr on the Mac, I even think that I downloaded the serial port JSON which appears to be important but things have stalled again.

There is a note which says “For your CNC device please choose the “tinyg” buffer in the pulldown before connecting.”
I presume this relates to the pull down memu in the Port List.
My lap top shows in that list but when I click on it I get another error message saying that the port is busy.

It is frustrating to say the least.

I would be grateful for any pointers to resolve this problem.

Go to this link (after json is running): ChiliPeppr - Hardware Fiddle

Choose grbl in the dropdown list and check the box to connect to your arduino.

Eric
Thanks for the quick response, I have opened that link but cannot see any pull down list which has grbl as an option.

It should be on the lower right hand corner…near the picture of the arduino.

If your JSON server is not connected, it won’t be there.

It isn’t so it can’t be.

but with this is in the background

That’s the TinyG workspace in ChiliPeppr, you need the Grbl one for the X-Carve.

Thanks but I still can’t make it work

I can’t see the pictures you posted…

I downloaded the picture…now I see it. Is your arduino plugged in? Has it been set-up on the computer?

Erik,
It was plugged in when I took the screen shot (using Grab…which saved the pictures as a TIFF. Next time i do it i’ll see if there is an option to save in a different format).

As for whether it has been set up on the computer…I am not sure, it seems that things like manuals etc are considered unnecessary so set up and installation all seem a bit random.

Go through the steps to set up your arduino, it does not appear to have been done. I am not a mac user so hopefully someone can help you.

@sketch42 Can you help?

Sure, give me a bit to read through the issue and I’ll see what I can post.

Hi @RobertMatusiewicz,

I hope you don’t mind me chiming in here.

Quick tip:
In the future, when you want to take a screenshot, try these… (they are faster and save out images that are easier on the internet)
Use the “Command + Shift + 4” keys together to get some cross hairs. Then drag over the part you want to screen capture. This will save a screenshot to your desktop that you can upload here and everyone will be able to see.
As an extra tip, if while you have the cross hairs you tap the space bar, it will switch your cursor to a camera and you can take a screenshot of a specific window when you click on said open window.

Now for the matter at hand. I am guessing that you have already got Easel up and running with your X-Carve. If that is the case, then follow along. If not, then please let us know so we can back up a few steps. Having your X-Carve working with Easel first is an important step to setting up your machine and was included in the instructions.

• First thing you want to do before launching ChiliPeppr is to alway make sure that you have no other control software like UGS or Easel running. For that matter, make sure your VM isn’t running as well, just to rule out any variables or other things that might take control of the port you are trying to use. Also… plug in your USB from the X-Carve and turn on the X-Carve if you haven’t already.

• Next is to make sure you are running the JSON Serial server each time you want to start ChiliPepper. Do this by double clicking “serial-port-json-server” found in the zip file that they have you download located here: http://chilipeppr.com/downloads/v1.80/serial-port-json-server_macosx_v1.80.zip Leave this running in the Terminal in the background.

• Now it is time to navigate to the correct ChiliPeppr workspace. Make sure that you are going to ChiliPeppr - Hardware Fiddle and not any of the other workspaces.

• To connect your workspace to the hardware, you need to tell it where your hardware is. In your ChiliPeppr workspace on the right bottom you should see a widget called “Serial Port JSON Server” and it says connected or disconnected. If is says you are disconnected, click the little button with circular arrows to reconnect.

• Once it is connected you should see a list of ports available from the JSON Server. The one you want looks like the one in green in this pic:

For me it is almost always at the bottom of the list that I have to scroll down through. Tick the box next to it and ChiliPeppr will try and connect to it.

• If all has gone smoothly up until now then you should hear your steppers engage as it connects and puts your machine into an alarm state. (Alarm state just means that your machine has lost reference to where the tool head is at on the grid.) The widget referred to should now register as being connected.

• Above the JSON widget you should see a GRBL widget. In that widget it should look like this:

Just click where it says “Click To Unlock” in the red. Then when you are ready, go up to the Jog widget and home your machine by clicking the little home icon.

• You should be good to go now. You’ll be able to jog your machine, load and run g-code file… etc.

Another Tip: to avoid problems, it might be easier in the long run if you work in metric and make sure your files are metric. I learned this the hard way.

@ErikJenkins et all… please correct me if I’ve missed anything.

1 Like

I have started using Chilipeppr / Mac and will say this is the best option I have found if not using Easel. Easel is great for many projects, but there are times where you need more toolpath control that something like V-Carve provides. I am using V-Carve as well on a virtual machine.

So, just words of encouragement that it’s worth getting it set up.

1 Like

It all looks good, the one I select to connect actually has a picture of an arduino next to it…makes it very easy to choose the right one. Choosing grbl in the dropdown list is what get’s most people from what I have seen.

Sketch42,
Many thanks for your contribution , I’ll follow your notes later when I get back from work and post an update.

1 Like

Sketch42,
I have found the tty.usb but this is how the screen looks now…no clicking motors, no “alarm” notice.

How do I make the thing move?

Hi @RobertMatusiewicz

Sorry for not getting back to you quicker… so at the stage that you have in your screenshot, you aren’t able to jog the machine or click the homing button?

Any chance you can post a larger screenshot showing the whole window?

Sketch42,
Firstly there is no need to apologise I really appreciate the input. I have repeated the steps in your earlier post and I was able to jog the machine, so the connection has been made. After the earlier frustrations of trying to sort this out I cannot tell you how pleasing it was to see movement on the XC.
Now I have to work out how to load a tool path from Carve. Any suggestions to avoid common pitfalls?