Running directly on work surface - without base

Q1 - Will the spindle/bit reach below the bottom of the baseboard as it is supplied. i.e if we remove the baseboard and place it on a surface we want to carve?

I’m not sure. We’d need to test that use case. If it didn’t out of the box you could build a longer Z axis to accomplish it.

Q2 - will the unit need to be stiffened if we remove the baseboard?

It depends what your application is. The board is bolted to the aluminum extrusions on either end. This bracing could be done with 20x20 extrusions or you could bolt down the whole machine.

Q3 - if we order without the baseboard, does it still come with the rails that are under the baseboard?

Only the 1000mm size has extra extrusions for bracing and yes they are included in the rail kit not the waste board kit. The 500mm size has the extrusions only on the back and front.

Q4 - Can the end plates be shortened, the cross rails raised (leaving room for the carriage to run unobstructed) without any issue?

I don’t understand this question. Can you please explain or provide a drawing?

Q5 - what is involved in reconfiguring it to a different size e.g. 1000 x 500mm. I know you can change/swap the rails, but what needs to happen on the software side?

You need to get different belts too. Easel will support different sizes when we start shipping X-Carve. It does not support that currently. Here’s the thread that talks about it and a short animation.

Q6 - How practical would it be to set this up to make it easy to semi disassemble, pack and reassemble. (i.e remove carriages and pack compactly) I.e make a case for it, take it to site and reassemble to do a job. Making it really a portable machine? Would it need to be reconfigured each time, if so what is involved in that?

We took it in the car to an event but didn’t disassemble it. Each time you move it or disassemble it if you want parts to come out perfectly you will want to perform a squaring process. We will be launching a video that shows how to do it shortly. The machine isn’t designed to be disassembled and reassembled constantly. You could take the X axis off the Y rails. When you do that you’d need to redo the belts each time. Also you risk damaging the wiring in transit.

Q7 - How would you know where to reposition if doing work larger than the limits of the “cutting area”?

How could do cut work larger than the cutting area? Can you explain a bit more about how this would work?