Scrabble Tile - Wall Decoration

I designed and made the following using Illustrator (exported as an svg) and Easel as a Christmas present for my wife - (my wife, daughter and me are the names)

I used a small round-nose bit for the lettering (to about 2mm depth), followed by two further cuts with a straight-edged bit, first to cut out the individual letter pieces to 4mm depth, then a second pass to cut to the full depth of 19mm to extract the decoration from the rest of the wood.

I used the same single design throughout, just changing the depth of all pieces back to 0mm that i didn’t want cutting in that next pass - this seemed to work very well and effectively allowed the tool-change and depth change without having to keep loading in different SVG’s and getting them all re-aligned.

I’m in the process of painting the lettering iin different colours before a final sand and protective seal.

I’m really pleased as one of the first projects i’ve completed with the x-carve. The only thing i would do differently is use better wood - this is cheap shelving material and isn’t the nicest of grains and needed quite some sanding as very prone to ‘fuzzies’…

6 Likes

This is a great idea. I may steal this for my own family!

awesome project!

Very cool! Try using a downcut bit, that’ll help get rid of fuzzies. Also search the forums for scotch-brite, there’s some little green sanding pads that you can put in your drill that do a great job getting rid of the fuzzies.

Thanks Robert - i’ll check to see whether i have a down-cut bit to try.

Re: Fuzzies - i found a nylon circular brush in my Dremel accessories kit which has done a great job of removing them all - not quite sanding, but not abrasive enough to be marking the wood either. This meant it wasn’t so bad to remove them all if just a bit time consuming.
I’ll look out for the scotch brites

1 Like